Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some Wonderberry seeds from Bakercreek Seeds. I've researched them online, but can't seem to find any recipes for them. I had planned to use them as a replacement for blueberries this year, but apparently they are not supposed to taste too good raw. I know that unripe they are supposed to be poisonous, so will definitely wait until ripe to sample. I thought about just making a syrup with them, but would like to make a Wonderberry muffin! I just can't find any recipes using them. Anybody have some?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Wonderberries aren't a substitute for blueberries. I really like them, they are prolific and easy to harvest. To me they taste like watermelon. Kind of. Or maybe black currant. Sort of. Excellent on pancakes. Great in yogurt. Try them. They will hang on in your garden with edible fruit long after all other berries are gone.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
It's Black Nightshade but nobody would deliberately buy something that may be poison. Hence the Wonderberry name. Has an advantage over most other fruiting plants in that the leaves are also edible. Cook them the same as you would spinach.

Martin

·
Registered
460 Posts
I got the chicquelete (sp?) last year. They are similar to wonderberry. 4 plants produced more than we could use. Raw, they are good, sort of a saccharin aftertaste though. Attempted to make jam with them when we made blueberry jam. Apparently they have less natural pectin than blueberries. We ended up with some good pancake syrup though.

I noticed that wonderberry leaves are edible. Does anybody know about chicquelete?

Kendall

·
STILL not Alice
19,875 Posts
I've grown wonderberries and chichiquelita. They're really more of a huckleberry than anything else. Don't taste very good raw, but add some sugar and cook them, and they ain't half bad.

I used them to extend other berries (raspberries, strawberries, etc).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts