Anyone else use trailer for storage???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Trixie, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

My trailer just arrived this week. It is 9' wide, 110" high and 48 feet long!!!!

I just wondered if anyone else used one of these for storage and if it is used as is or any modifications necessary. It seems to me it would need some kind of ventilation - it gets pretty hot here in TExas.

Any ideas????

2. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

Yep, we use one, but ours is a 54'! We put it up in the field because we have no room near the house. Right now it is storing all of dh's shelving, extra home repair materials, pipe etc.

I know it's not pretty, but we don't have a garage, and it's handy for storing things that are too big for the basement, or just don't get used often enough.

Our trailer has vents built in, but they are small. If I was going to use it more often I would probably frame in a couple of windows for light and ventilation. Actually that was our plan, but we didn't have a big enough flat spot near the house to turn it into a real shed/garage.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

My Shipping box--40ft long works great for storage, but it is sitting in the edge of the woods so it stays shaded all day. I did no vents!! It has been stacked full of furniture and household items for 3 years. I check it often--no mold or damp smell and no heat dammage. I would feel if you had it out in the open---you will have to vent it or it would become a oven. My neighbor does have 3 out in the sun all day with no vents--but I do see the doors open alot during the summer. Good Luck!! Randy

4. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

At our training barn they use an old semi trailer to store their hay in, seems to work well.

5. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Turbine vents are inexpensive if you feel the need.

I bought a 12 inch turbine vent for my garage for $45 or so I believe.

6. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone.

Wow 54" - I'm jealous.

I think we have a couple of old turbine vents at our home. We will be going there this weekend and I will check to see.

We thought about windows, and I may do that. We are going to have to have a way to regulate the temperature inside - somewhat.

No, it isn't really pretty, although it doesn't look took bad. I mean a trailer sitting out there in the field (well, next to the barn, really). It isn't beat up, though. From the outside, it looks really great - it got bumped from the front and caused the floor to buckle up and the owner said it would cost more to fix it than it was worth. The floor isn't bad enough to make a difference to us.

I am excited, everything I have here at my son's has been stored in a hay barn - that leaks a little and water runs through it with a big rain. That hasn't really been a problem this summer, but it is a constant concern. So I can't wait to get the shelving in and move things to a more protected place.

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

A LOT of 'em used for storage out here in NW New Mexico.

A friend of mine even has a business renting them, delivered, and modified to the renter's specs. He does very well with it. But it is "capital-intensive"!

I almost bought one a few years ago. Glad I didn't now, because I now have a smaller piece of land and cannot spare the area.

8. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

This is something I'm interested in as well, but just for clarification are we talking trailers or shipping containers here.

Trailers meaning box trailers with front and rear wheels (pup trailer) or rear wheels and front landing jacks. Ala the kind used by the OTR semis.

Or are we talking shipping containers which are delivered by truck and set on the ground or on blocks etc. No wheels on these guys. Usually in 20 or 40 foot lengths as far as I can tell.

The reason I'm asking is I have a need for secure, dry storage on the property we are developing and really like the look of the steel storage containers for this purpose. They are robust, generally water tight, secure, and the entrance is at ground level vs. having to use some sort of stairs or climbing up into the back of wheeled trailer.

In our situation however I anticipate having to move said container at least once and probably twice as the development of the property moves along. Therein lies the challenge as these containers are mega heavy and I'm wondering if there is any way at all for me to move these things myself with maybe some sort of dolly wheels and the bulldozer, or if we will have to hire out the moving of the containers every time when needed.

The wheeled semi trailers would probably not present a problem to move around the place with either the tractor or the bulldozer, but it sure seems like a hassle having to climb up and down the stairs every time to get stuff in or out of the trailer. I'm probably not agile enough at my age to be going in and out of an elevated trailer all day without some sort of stairs.

I would love peoples thoughts on this subject, and if you have pictures of your trailer or container set-ups that would be great.

It looks like good condition shipping containers are going for around $1800 delivered in my area for a 40 footer. How much are you guys paying for the wheeled trailers?

Thanks much
    Wayne

9. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

A GOOD BUY on a 40' shipping container here in New Mexico is $1200.
    The trailers are harder to find, but the price seems to be more flexible...cheaper and higher, too.
    The tradeoff, of course, is the height of the trailer.

10. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We got 2 45 foot trailers $1200 each. The trailers give you storage under the box as well and building stairs wasn't a big concern. One is just a straight box no modifications the other had a crappy back door so it came off and I framed in two doors, added a window, AC and heat, but it's used as a crafts room by my wife. It's not done by any means. The window added alot of light and because it's a double hung window really helps with ventilation.

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you sure its 9 feet??? The legal width it 102 inches 8 feet 6" wide And there are trailers that are 57 feet long and longer too.

12. huzzyjr

huzzyjr Well-Known Member

We just bought 2 of the shipping containers last weekend 40 feet long. We set them 20 feet apart and are going to build a carport in between them.

13. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We inherited a trailer (like an 18-wheeler pulls) when we bought this place. It is ugly as sin, says "CAROLINA" on the side in faded paint. It has wooden steps and a little roofed "porch" at the door end. We keep lumber in it now but have kept furniture in it when we were first getting settled. We thought about making it a workshop but haven't decided for sure what to do with it.

It has a LOT of room in it! It does get very hot though.

14. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Gosh, this got resurrected.

My trailer is the kind an 18 wheeler pulls, and I really, really like it.

The steps are a problem and being an old granny lady, it is a challenge. So far, I haven't gotten any steps built. It is at my son's place in NE TExas where we do our 'farming' when we do. By our next extended stay I WILL have steps. I just use a step ladder and kinda work my way in. Good stretching exercise. Anything heavy to put in was either loaded from pick up bed or loaded by the men in my family.

To me it is a great solution. I don't know about containyers, but this trailer is finished inside, kinda. It has insulation, then metal strips with holes of sorts. They use this to hook straps and stuff for hauling (I assume). Between those metal strips is plywood. I like the metal posts, really. We put several metal shelves in and had to anchor them someway without actually attaching to the walls. We simply ran a wire around the posts of the shelves, sometimes around the entire shelf, and through the holes in the metal posts. They are very secure.

We never put in the turbine vents, although we did take some we had at our house. It was never too very hot in there, for working a while or for the things stored. I just took a little fan. It did get chilly though, but it didn't freeze. We put our canned goods, and stored groceries in there, a chest type freezer, books - lots of books - fabric in boxes, Christmas decorations, just everything.

To me it is a great alternative, and I have heard, we shall see, that if it is on wheels, it isn't taxed as an improvement. That might not be a concern where others live - but our county is tax happy.

We paid $1,000 and the man loaned my son his truck to bring it to us.

It is in really good shape, is still road worthy. There was just a problem with the flooring, it had buckled in a couple of places and he could never get it fixed smoothly enough for a forklift. It had been a problem and he just sold it to my son. And it smells so good. I don't know why, it isn't a floral scent, or anything I can identify - just smells good. I know it might not seem important but for fabric and books, I didn't want something smelly.l

If I had a choice, however, I think I would look at one of those moving van trailers. They are lower to the ground and would have more storage.

It is so nice, we have actually considered, putting in some more wiring, installing an a/c and a bed, and partioning off part as a 'motel' room for extended visits. We wouldn't have to pull the trailer everytime.

15. Sand Flat Bob

Sand Flat Bob north central Texas

I highly recommend static vents instead of Turbines. I have some on my 30 by 80 foot shed and am replacing them. In lots of areas it is not legal to put turbines on a house because of the leak potential. The turbines have a short life and then start leaking in driving rain. Turbines are also less efficient in moving air than static vents.

Bob

16. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

A 'static' vent might be a better option - but illegal?

I think I know what a static vent is, I have never seen one except on a house top. It would almost seem to me, not having examined one, that it is low to the rooftop, and would allow water to run in more as much or more than a turbine vent. Our tubines have a 'foot' of about 8". Yes, the louvered part is open, so to speak, but except in very cold weather, these are turning all the time. In cold weather, we always covered them anyway to retain the heat.

Explain how a 'static' vent works.

17. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I have a steel 40 ft. shipping container. It has 2 turbine vents that I cover with heavy duty plastic bags & lots of duct tape in the winter. I also put up a wood divider in the center. 1/2 is for hay, the other side is storage. I also had a side door installed. 1/2 holds 100 bales of 3 wire hay nicely.

Cost $125.00 to move 1/2 mile... It was winched up on a looong flat bed. They are in such demand here, your moving price probably would be lower.

If you're thinking about truck trailers, you can get the refrigerator trailers that are insullated. Even if you take the axles off, they still sit higher.

18. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

I have a trailer that is 53 feet long, works wonderfully to keep lumber off the ground and dry, tools are hung on the walls, and gives me a lot of much needed storage. I got mine free - just had to pay to have it hauled out to the farm - I think that cost me 150 dollars or so. Doesn't leak at all and of course it doesn't look wonderful since it is a trailer, but who cares? No one can see it from the road anyway!

best thing I've gotten for free - no leaks and I intend to put a few windows in it and build steps up the back to make it easier to get in and out of (might build a ramp on one side and steps on the other). It already has a door in the side near the front as it was used for commercial storage before I got it. The co. went out of business and posted the trailer for free if one hauled it off - I called right away and got it (was the second caller, but the first caller did not show up to remove it in a timely manner, so they called me and I got it hauled that day) - lol..

19. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Do you have the container set on blocks or directly on the ground?

20. Sand Flat Bob

Sand Flat Bob north central Texas

Read this site:http://www.roofvents.com/