Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GC Pete got me to thinking.. I was gonna give you a rub about it too... when you mentioned a 7mm-08... I was gonna say the 7x57 is better because the guns that used them are cooler :p

Then I got to thinking about how much I like shooting the old military guns....

My favorite rifle for deer is a 7mm mauser... Yeah, it's a little long, but it just feels right, and I can shoot bottle caps with open sights at 100 yards.. well... when I could still see 20 years ago... and didn't shake :p .... I've also gotta sported Swed that's pretty sweet too.... and small... and light.. and dead eye accurate...

I actually prefer using those over my Rem 700 and a Winchester model 88. ...guns built for sporting..

I do have a Mosin I never intended to own,.. .but I do.. so I was almost thinking of taking it out. It's not near as accurate as the mousers or any of my other rifles.... Still fun to shoot...

Reactions: michael ark

·
Registered
15 Posts
JC Higgins Mauser 98 in 30.06 is my hunting gun.... Though not itself a military gun its still a Mauser action and probably the most accurate gun I have if I could see that well

T

·
0 Posts
We have a 1966 AK and a 1940's Swiss thing with a bayonet that has been recalibrated to a more modern calibre.

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
I don't hunt with old military primarily because most of my hunting is in a shotgun only town ship , I susppose if you consider that the military at some point used the same modle shotguns , then using a M37 , 870 or model 500 is sort of old military

does the 870 police magnum I bought used from the police department with the factory original smooth bore improved cylinder slug barrel count , it rode around in a cruiser for about 25 years , I think it might have earned a pension.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had a 7x57 Swedish Husqvarna Mauser that I loved to hunt with. I traded it off for something sexier when Roger Raglin was one of the first guys touting synthetic stocks and his "black magic" rifle. I wish I had it now.

What qualifies as military? I have an old model 8 Remington semi-auto in 35 Remington that has U.S.Federal Prisons Bureau stamped on it, and I have hunted with it, but have yet to kill anything.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
My first deer rifle was a 1903 Springfield 30-06. I sure loved that gun. Alas, some person, who will remain un-named hocked it. Probably didn't get $20 for it. :(

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Had a 6.5 swede and a 03/A3 that I hunted with as a kid. Never did shoot anything with either, though.

I'd like to find something I could swap you for on that 88 though! :) What caliber do you have? THey rank close to Savage 99's for me

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been looking for a 1903 A1, Springfiled manufactured, for a few years now. Not found one that I could justify being worth the cost.. Either old and beat up, or nice and too much... Had a friend that had one that had been sportrized and I loved shooting that gun...

My 88 is in 308... It has an old Leopold scope on it with a Pachmayr tip-off mount.. Great shooting gun, but I'll never part with it. It was a gift from a friend, as was the Swed I have. He was the one that had sporterized the Swed, and he did one heck of a job on it. However, he did it years ago when that was the thing to do. Now he wished he never had, I wish he wouldn't have either.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, yep, I would consider police and prison guns to be in the same class.. It's something about the history of a gun that I really like..

I've got a couple old CZ handguns that were police gns, and I've also got a FEG that was a police issue...

Something about if those guns could only tell a story.. .I only have a couple guns that weren't military or police issue..

I've got an old Potsdam muzzle loader that I wish could tell me the stories of where it's been and what it's seen... It was only one of two guns my grandfather owned that are left in the family.. I also own the second one.. a handgun..

Reactions: vicker

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I've got an old Potsdam muzzle loader that I wish could tell me the stories of where it's been and what it's seen... It was only one of two guns my grandfather owned that are left in the family.. I also own the second one.. a handgun..
And may those two guns mean as much to your offspring as they do to you!

I've given two of my boys, guns in the last year. Under the guidance that it never be sold, but they pass it on to someone who holds the second amendment close and dear, and so on. Family or not.

Those two guns are both favorite rifles, I've got another reserved for the other son...and no less of a gun! Dang...now I need to replace them! :)

Reactions: bigjon

·
Thumb of Michigan
228 Posts
I like the old M1 garland 30-06 for deer hunting. During regular deer season it is shotgun only. During the summer I get crop damage permits and am allowed to use the rifle.

·
Super Moderator
13,679 Posts
My father had a war surplus model 11 12 gauge riot gun with 20 inch barrel and a M1903 refit with a sportsman stock. He let me use both for deer hunting depending on season weapon restrictions for three years until they were stolen by a druggie busted for other break ins around where we lived as best the law could figure although the weapons were never recovered.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And may those two guns mean as much to your offspring as they do to you!

I've given two of my boys, guns in the last year. Under the guidance that it never be sold, but they pass it on to someone who holds the second amendment close and dear, and so on. Family or not.

Those two guns are both favorite rifles, I've got another reserved for the other son...and no less of a gun! Dang...now I need to replace them! :)
I have no kid... by choice... I have already let my brother and his first son know that they will be going to my nephew... He's not into guns really, but he does understand the meaning of getting them.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My father had a war surplus model 11 12 gauge riot gun with 20 inch barrel and a M1903 refit with a sportsman stock. He let me use both for deer hunting depending on season weapon restrictions for three years until they were stolen by a druggie busted for other break ins around where we lived as best the law could figure although the weapons were never recovered.
I would have recovered them outta his butt as soon as he got outta jail..

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I have no kid... by choice... I have already let my brother and his first son know that they will be going to my nephew... He's not into guns really, but he does understand the meaning of getting them.
He sounds like a young man who is primed and ready to be taught heritage and rights. One reason I didn't stipulate that they be handed down to offspring....I want them to realize what they represent and meant. Yes...better in the family, but no guarantees.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

hhhmmm.. pistol grip on a rifle like that... I don't know... Guess I'm just too old school..

My Mosin I bought off a friend that was needing money to buy clothes for his kids before school started. He didn't want to sell it, but didn't have much other choice. I bought it in case he decides he wants to buy it back, instead of him taking it to the pawn shop, and getting less money...

I doubt he'll be buying it back though.... Just a feeling... Anyway, it's a Hex receiver.. I believe it's a 1934? I can't remember, but it does have some cartouches on it that hint towards it being a more accurate gun that they issued to more skilled shooters or snipers.. I still need to do more research on it... It's not your every day Mosin though. Because of that, I'd never modify it... An every day Mosin I'd have no issues hacking it up.. .

Reactions: michael ark

·
Registered
198 Posts
M1 Garand quite a bit.

Also used a CETME.

Both on pigs

Reactions: chester5731

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sat down two nights agot and got a new sling on my Brazilian Mauser... Pulled out a few rounds, and I'm ready to head out tomorrow morning with it to go get me some meat :thumb:

That's for my first deer this year. My next one i'll probably take my Winchester 88...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts