Anyone else miss spring?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Apr 15, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Whatever happened to spring? Hereabouts we went from late winter (snow, slush, freezing rain) to early summer in about a weeks time. I'm not complaining, just seems funny. What a glorious weekend! we worked, we played, we sent roosters and a drake to freezer camp.

"This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it"

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

could be worse, we went spring, summer (all two days) then back to winter!

3. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom always told me, and I don't know where it is in the Bible (she said it was), that as the time gets closer for the Lord's return, the seasons will begin to go from one right into another like Winter right into Summer and Summer right into Winter. There wouldn't be very long fall or spring.

4. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, here in the ozarks, we didnt have winter--now we havent had spring! went in one day from turning heat off, to turning air on. normally cant plant tomatoes till after may 10, but think mine are ready to join everything else in the garden

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

You are right about that!! I just cant make myself put out my tomatoes yet, just keep thinking that we are gonna get a cold snap still... but it was 91 here the other day...that just isnt spring weather...last year this time, we had a fire in the fireplace...this year I told my hubby, I refuse to turn on the a.c in April, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Belinda

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Us too! Snow on the hill this weekend, and I sure don't like it! The wind is howling down from BC (thanks, eh!) and it's downright frigid. And to think a week ago it hit 70!

7. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

It's already been in the nineties here....of course, it IS Arizona...didn't feel like 90.

8. mmbawden

mmbawden Member

We are in what they are calling sprinter. Today in the 60s, yesterday we woke up to rain and snow in the foothills. WHO knows what tomarrow will bring? But the peas are starting to pop up.

9. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Yesterday was a spring day, as was a few days before hand. Warmer-- more seasonal right now than it was last year at this time. I like this milder weather-- it really helps me get things done without a l;ot of extra pushing to get started! :banana02:

10. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think of spring as the start of tornado weather, so I know I haven't missed it. On Friday we had thunderstorms with 1" - 2" hail. My son ran out with an umbrella to hold over our newborn lamb, which was sweet but silly, since momma ewe was standing over it for protection. (Can you tell it's our first lamb?) I wish my boy had had enough sense to at least wear a helmet himself, but he seems okay, too.

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We had about two weeks of Spring. And I planted my tomatoes two days ago!

12. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Even for Florida Spring was mighty short this year.

.....Alan.

13. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Not much of a spring in Oklahoma. It's been hot, dry and windy here for months. If you don't water it here, it now won't grow.

There is hope though. I planted tomatoes this weekend. That practically guarantees a frost, if not snow.