Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im really getting tired of the breeding difficulties Im having and I just cant figure out what the deal is.

the dang does just simply wont give it up.
good food, clean water, dry and out of the wind, nothing freaking them out, no rats, dogs, strangers, etc...low stress, multiple bucks to choose from.

most of the does have had litters already.

I have 3 particular does, two are 2 months off a litter, and wont breed, one of those has given me multiple litters this year already. one has babies on her now that are a month old, and she just wont cooperate. not with the buck that sired the babies she is nursing, not with another buck. not at 6 in the morning, lunch time, or dusk.

grrr!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hey. Im new to breeding. This just seems like that kind of year for some people! Im going to try breeding two does next week see how that goes.

Do they have lots of light?

Meaby you could try buying two young juniors or some really young ones and see how they produce.

Best of luck to you!

Jesse
www.freewebs.com/jessescritters
www.jessescritters.blogspot.com

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Are they lighted? Declining light levels don't help things when it comes to breeding. You might try getting a light set up on a timer for those buns that aren't coming in like you expect them to. Rabbits can be really frustrating sometimes when it comes to trying to get them bred!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I hear ya! I've been trying for several weeks to breed a couple of Lionhead does and they're just not having it. :flame: I've swapped them around with the bucks, and those cages just happen to be beside the chicken pen, which does have lights on a timer - so we'll see if that helps.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
I had a doe I thought wasn't letting either of my bucks breed, but after trying her again yesterday and her acting snippy to the buck, I palpated her. She was already pregnant! It's the first time I've been absolutely definite when I palpated too, there were definitely babies growing in her belly.

Apparently one of the previous attempts was more successful than I realized, even though I could have sworn she wasn't cooperating with the buck. She usually is very receptive when she gets into bucks cage, but she had been gluing her butt to the floor every time, or so I thought. Either he was more persistent than I thought, or she cooperated when I wasn't staring at them.

This is also a tough time of year, the days will keep getting shorter for a little more than a month. At least after that the days get longer again and you're working with mother nature instead of against her.

Kayleigh

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we have talked about putting up a light back there, then waiting a couple weeks and trying again, and by the way, whoever said it, I got plenty of 7-9 month old juniors that arent doing it either, the one on babies now, it is her first litter. its not a senior thing.

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
Gosh I feel lucky. My doe has never failed me. I should save one of her daughters just so I can those good mothering skills a going. So sorry to hear of your trouble. Time of year maybe? I'd rather not be pregnant in the winter.

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ha! I was pregnant in the winter, and I would rather be. I was fat, uncomfortable and steaming hot all the time. I think a summer pregnancy would be miserable.

anyway, I managed to get 2 bred, one veteran and one 11 month old, but I have a VERY persistant buck. took over an hour to get it done, and they are both pulling hair.
the one that is on babies now, I force bred her, so we will see if she has anything. we still dont have a light up, but Im working on it.

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Summer pregnancies are miserable!

My doe wouldn't let the buck do his thing today either. Currently she is living alone in ds's house (haven't moved her from quarantine, got too cold after her quarantine was over) so I just may have to wash the empty cage out in freezing cold temps and put her in the shed with the rest of them. I have skylights in there so the lighting would be much better. I'm still going to count off the 32 days, just in case.

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
I'm having a hard time, I was supposed to have 4 due this month...nothing. I had bred my French lop doe, she was due Monday, nothing yet, I palpated her and I don't feel anything, normally I can feel the little guys, So I'm still hoping there will be something but I'm not to hopeful. All the does that were due, all excepted the buck, and bred on the first time. I have 2 doe on the 10th of December, so we will see...hopefully something will happen then.

Got to get the bucks to play, maybe tomorrow night!

Melissa

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the 2 that were pulling hair both had babies, 5 and 6. not bad for a smaller winter litter. supposedly 2 are pregnant that were force bred. we'll see.

so what about a shy buck? I have a tan buck that will not cooperate with force breeding. he wont do his thing unless I step away, then of course nothing, since the girls wont do their thing either. so then what?

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Have you tried them very early in the morning? I found it made a difference in the enthusiasm of both bucks and does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey there, we have been breeding lionheads for over two years now and just today our prize pedigree lionhead gave birth to 4 kits.
We usually mate our rabbits on Saturday nights so that they give birth on Tuesdays nights or on Wednesdays. There are some rabbits that just do not breed(are in the Mood..) We have a couple that are like that. The conditions have to be right. The males do not like the cold. But congrats on the new born kits and good luck for future births.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I second the early moring suggestion. Mine are very active in the morning and lie around all afternoon. I've always put my does to the buck in the morning and they haven't missed yet. I also turn the lights on in the morning around the same time and shut them off in the evening at the same time so maybe that helps too.

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
one month!? I guess I should put a foot in husbands butt to get my lights up! Ill see about trying the early morning thing. but not tomorrow. we are under a winter storm warning and are supposed to get a foot of snow in the next 24 hours. Ill probably be to busy digging them out to mess with breeding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts