Anyone else having a non-traditional Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jen H, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We're having roast beef with yorkshire puddings for Thanksgiving. It'll be six people in all - FIL, Husband, me, and some neighbors with their little boy. I'm doing the roast, the yorkshire puddings, and the apple pie, the neighbors are doing roasted parsnips, mashed potatoes, and a winter squash/carrot dish.

2. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm going wild hog hunting, so who knows what I'll be eating! DH is going to his mom's because he didn't want to go with me and "not have Thanksgiving". His loss!

3. WendyW.

WendyW. Well-Known Member

It looks like we won't be having our turkey for Thanksgiving this year. We are going to moms and she decided to do roast and ham with butter beans and cornbread dressing. I guess we'll have the fried turkey for Christmas. We'll be backwards this year.

4. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

This actually *is* our tradition, but we have Thanksgiving every year with close friends of ours from our synagogue. She's a vegetarian, and he eats vegetarian food most of the time with her, but insists on meat at Thanksgiving. But he doesn't like turkey. And since he's chinese, he makes and brings Peking Duck, which we eat in addition to our turkey. It has become a tradition here, and I love it - duck first, then turkey.

Sharon

5. valschickens

valschickens Big Brother's Watching

New to the countryside a couple years back, we wanted to buy a turkey from down the road where their sign advertised FRESH TURKEYS and their phone number. I waited until the day before Thanksgiving to knock on their door. :shrug: Lady told me all of their turkeys were pre-ordered and spoken for, but she had some "injured" birds "with parts missing"!! :doh:

So? A bird is a bird. We bought one with a leg missing, and then bought a spare leg! :p I stuffed that bird and sorta stuck that leg up in its proper place! It was hysterical....and delicious!

This year it'll just be the four of us, again, and yes, I've pre-ordered the bird! :rolleyes:

6. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Mmmmmm. Peking Duck, hoisin and pancakes too? I am jealous!

7. ArkansasLady

ArkansasLady Well-Known Member Supporter

we are grilling steaks and chicken...I am making a peanut butter pie and a squash casserole to take also..

~Cindy~

8. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Just the two of us this year... he's not a fan of turkey, I really not a beef person..... so we are jut going to have a "special" dinner of:

Flattened Chicken stuffed (rolled up) with cranberry chutney
    Cornbread stuffing
    Spaghetti squash with roasted veggies

Even a dessert that night! I think I'm leaning towards a simple apple crisp.