Anyone else have this problem? Or a solution?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RedneckWoman, Sep 12, 2004.

1. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

With deer season starting here in a few weeks I am fully expecting my lovely neighbor from about three miles away to come for yet another uninvited visit. For the past four years that I have lived here every year during deer season this same person rides his fourwheeler over to the backside of my property, cuts down a section of my fence (barbed wire with electric top strand), tears down my "POSTED" signs (which the DNR no longer gives away free I have to pay 1.00 each for), and proceeds to hunt on my property. I have politely asked this guy to stop, I have not so politey told this guy to stop, I have (with gun in hand) ordered him off of the property only to have him return later, I have called the police and game warden only to get the usual response that they would have to see him actually doing it or I would have to get his name, addy, and all of this stuff, and file a formal complaint. I don't know the guy's name or address, I know just about where he lives but not exactly, and no one will tell me anything about him (name or anything) because he is just a "good ol boy" that doesn't mean any harm. Yeah, he doesn't mean any harm he just cuts down my fence that I have to put back, and knocks out the electric strand and I have had a couple of cows get out because of that, litters up the place, and has fired directly at my house. Has or does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions to what I could do?

(Note: If the guy had come to me and asked if he could hunt back there, there is a good possibility that I would have said yes because I really don't have a problem with respectful hunters hunting there. What I do have a problem with is people detroying my stuff, letting my animals out, littering my place up, and generally being a well you know the word)

Sorry for going into a rant but it does get to a person. Thanks.

2. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

Shot Gun... and rock salt...

well places nail strips for his tires...

upping the charge on the electrical fence..

Spot Lights...

scaring the deer off your property (The rancher who used to own this property where i am, still owns quite a bit around us, and he has already starting using his crop duster to herd the deer onto his property, because he rents out hunting leases every year.. he is a butthead that sometimes I wish I could watch his plane do something other than fly.... )
    But if you have no deer on your property, nothing to hunt..

ummm release skunks in that area he likes to hunt..

sorry if these dont seem like serious replys.. but.. the shot gun and rock salt makes a lot of sense to me..........

Lynn in Texas

3. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

Carry a camera. Next time you see him take pictures of him on your property. As for the cops and game warden actually having to see him trespassing on your property, that's bs. But the more eyewitnesses you have the better.

Check your state laws. In my state, for example, trespassing with a firearm is a 3rd degree felony and tearing down posted signs is a misdeameanor. Catch him in the act with either additional witnesses by your side or getting a picture of him doing it. Then go to the cops and game warden and file a complaint. Also check into gettting an injunction against him against futher setting foot against him.

As to finding out his name and address, if you know where he lives that shouldn't be a problem - you should be able to find out the address from county property records and maps. Then use the address to find out who lives there - or better yet, the stupid cops can easily pull up the residents once they have the address. Unfortunately, it sounds like you've run into the good ol' boy network where the local cops protect the home town boy. Which means you've got to get your ducks in row and basically build the case for the prosecutor yourself instead of relying on the local law enforcement.

4. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

I have the same exact problem! Except I have several "good ol' boys" instead of just 1. In addition to your woes, mine leave beer cans, trash, lit cigarettes everywhere, and have even left 2 vehicles stuck in the mud in the middle of my driveway where I couldn't get out to get to work! It took DH, me, and another neighbor 1 1/2 hrs. to get them out of the way!
    I am to the point that I am going to just shoot them. I honestly wish there was an easy solution.

5. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Once you have his name and address, go down to the courthouse and get yourself a restraining order.

6. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

You need to remind the sheriff dept. that this isn't a civil act but a criminal violation. It is they're job to inforce law. Call in EVERYTIME something goes on and your calls are recorded at the dispatch dept. Get pictures of the damage or the person. Keep track of times and dates when you call. Gather enough info for you to make a case aginst the sheriff dept. Go to the clerk of courts and file charges aginst them for obstruction of justice.

This is what I had to go through here. I've had dogs shot, items stolen, property damaged, ect. Now they patrol my area daily and when I call in they send 2 units because they know I mean business...

Believe me.. when the prosecutor tells them what's up, they will call you.. ;)

7. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

I would say slash all four of his tires so he can see something of what the costs have been to you, but if he's unstable... well, he's already got a gun.
    But I'd have to agree with 12vman, make the law enforcement folks work for you. It wouldn't hurt to take a photograph of the license plate end of his vehicle with some identifying item in the background that would place it on your property.

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Boy, wish someone had a real solution to this problem. We live in the biggest deer producing county in MO...Texas county, have all the above problems and more. Road hunters...come in in truck loads from town and think a deer is gonna sit on the side of the road waiting for them. They use deer decoys down here and actually got the sheriff of the neighboring county taking a shot at a decoy!!!!!! Since our 120 acres was vacant for many years locals and not-so locals think it is free range. Well, we have cattle and horses and mighty tired of putting them up by the barn each year....not to mention being afraid to even walk out the door!!! Posting your propery is a waste of time. We aren't anti-hunting, hunt ourselves and generally willing to allow hunting if someone asks as we are overrun with deer here....but not into big groups driving deer thru the woods and people ripping down our gates and fences either. Such a big county that we wouldn't see a conservation officer for days if we did call. Not to mention this is still "feud" country....you don't wanna make anyone mad who will bring around his buddies to get revenge; it happens plenty down here. :eek: DEE who braces herself each fall and hopes for no trouble

9. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

if the local law and game people refuse to do their jobs - go uphill - state police, attorney general - document problems with county mounties

10. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Soory to hear about your neighbor. We have one similar to that hear. Only difference is he's a drug dealer and a drunk and from what we can make of it he has the sheriff on his payroll to leave him alone. His mother in law lives next door and he's angry that he wanted to buy this property and we were able to buy first. Now ever time he comes over to see his mother in law (a very nice lady) he harasses us, he teases the dogs and anything else he can do. Eachtime we've called the sheriff he tells us "oh you should be careful of him he's shot people before and always carries a gun" Gee THANKS for the help idiot! Well we got tired enough of it and went to the F.B.I. they are now investigating the sheriff for not responding to calls because by law they are supposed to. So if you can't get anyone to do anything maybe you could try the f.b.i. in your area. It takes awhile but if things are already going this slow at least if the F.B.I. agrees you know something is happening.
    Also if you can maybe get video of him. Some cameras work by motion sensor. Maybe you could rent one of those if he comes thorugh the same peice of fence eahctime you'd know where to set the camera to get him.
    Good luck

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

If he comes through the fence at the same place every year I'd dig a big pit, cover it so he won't realize he's driving his fourwheeler right into it and THEN call the sheriff/game warden.

All my life my Dad has had a problem with some neighbors of his doing this. And the good-ole-boy system is intact in Alabama too. My sister's house, which sits on the back of Daddy's property, has the bullet holes to show where they've taken shots toward her house. She is afraid to let the kids play outside during deer season.

I really dread deer season here. My city-fied husband doesn't think we'll have a problem. HA! We'll see. I'm putting bright orange collars on the dogs, got us some bright orange hats, etc. to wear and I'm keeping the rifle loaded.

12. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I am thinking like Texasartist here. You know you can't shoot the dummy..that's silly. BUt with technology being what it is today, with a little investment you can set up a camera system and maybe catch him in the act. It depends on just how much trouble you want to go to.

Outside of the authorities there is always the news outlets too. Threatening to get the pictures and then send them to the newspaper sometimes works, via letters to the editor . In addition, don't overlook your radio stations. This twit might no listen to or read these mediums but his friends/family might.

I had a problem a number of years ago with someone screwing with my mail. I saw red real quick as my letters to my son in the Navy were not getting to him. I hit the radio call-in shows and told everyone who was listening where the mail boxes in question were and that I had now set up a camera and had a "neighbohood watch" going where we could all see the mailboxes. I was pretty mad and probably went over board but I do remember talking about my 9 mm baretta and the person's genitals in the same sentence. Of course I was bluffing but I haven't ever had that problem again. I also sent word into the schools in the area via some posters and person contacts as sometimes kids will pass on info to parents and are a really good grapevine.

That was how I finally learned who was mucking about with my mail..by then it had stopped though. The kids were right up front with who is was and where they lived.

I guess I am thinking that some letters to the editor in general about these so-called hunters with family trees that go straight up,that destroy property and trespass , might get some attention along with the radio call-ins.

Good luck, do tackle the problem from more than one angle though...it will take luck and perserverance.

LQ

13. Little Quacker in OR

:) I am thinking like Texasartist here. You know you can't shoot the dummy..that's silly. BUt with technology being what it is today, with a little investment you can set up a camera system and maybe catch him in the act. It depends on just how much trouble you want to go to.

Outside of the authorities there is always the news outlets too. Threatening to get the pictures and then send them to the newspaper sometimes works, via letters to the editor . In addition, don't overlook your radio stations. This twit might no listen to or read these mediums but his friends/family might.

I had a problem a number of years ago with someone screwing with my mail. I saw red real quick as my letters to my son in the Navy were not getting to him. I hit the radio call-in shows and told everyone who was listening where the mail boxes in question were and that I had now set up a camera and had a "neighbohood watch" going where we could all see the mailboxes. I was pretty mad and probably went over board but I do remember talking about my 9 mm baretta and the person's genitals in the same sentence. Of course I was bluffing but I haven't ever had that problem again. I also sent word into the schools in the area via some posters and person contacts as sometimes kids will pass on info to parents and are a really good grapevine.

That was how I finally learned who was mucking about with my mail..by then it had stopped though. The kids were right up front with who is was and where they lived.

I guess I am thinking that some letters to the editor in general about these so-called hunters with family trees that go straight up,that destroy property and trespass , might get some attention along with the radio call-ins.

I guess better fencing and large dogs are out of the question?

Good luck, do tackle the problem from more than one angle though...it will take luck and perserverance.

LQ

14. Little Quacker in OR

That was how I finally learned who was mucking about with my mail..by then it had stopped though. The kids were right up front with who it was and where they lived.

I guess better fencing and large dogs are out of the question?

LQ

15. Little Quacker in OR

:eek: :eek: :eek: Sorry about the multiple posts...don't know why...can't seem to delete them..maybe the moderator can???

LQ

16. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Are you familiar with the little red dot that a lazer sight displays on a snipers rifle? Maybe if one danced around him and then landed on his chest a message might be sent.

17. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Apparently this guy is a few cards short of a deck. Perhaps this dude is sharing some smoked venison with the cops. DH says he must have an 'in' with the cops. When my son was younger he had a slight feud with a neighbor's son and wanted to bury a board with protruding nails in the trails where the atv's went. I did not let him, of course. it is easier, however to dig up a board than it is to pick up scattered nails. I agree with the others. Do your own detective work and get tire tread pics or plaster molds. Perhaps a loud alarm if you can hear it from your fence line. I do know deer are plentiful and do great deals of damage but he would not even have to hunt. Just gather the dead deer from the road. Neighbors do that to feed their cats in the winter time.

18. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

The problem with the laser light is that he will feel rightfully threatened and shoot to harm.

I have faound it extremely helpful, and safe, but time-consuming to go out and greet each one. Yell loudly "Hey there! Who is it? Charlie is that you? Come on out for a cup of coffee." Hey, you're not Charlie. What are you up to? You lost? Let me introduce myself. And you are...? So what brings you here?" Etc. Etc.

Make enough noise and such to deter whatever game he thinks he was hunting. Honk your horn when leaving for work or periodically to scare game. Run a cheap solar radio on the hill. Walk your three dogs noisily through the brush using a whistle and singing a song each morning early.

Assume he isn't hunting on your land to his face. Give him an opportunity to save face by saying, "Bet you didn't realize that we own the place now and you aren't on old Mr. X's property jsut right here. The borders are hard to see here aren't they? So tell me more about you and your work...."

He saves face, you get to know him and he you (if for no other reason to have a real name), and you discourage and ruin his experience, hopefully not to return.

Oh, and don't forget to don all your 'orange-wear' for safety's sake. We have sweatshirts and hats and such. Dogs too. And holler alot for your dogs when you all go greet him.

19. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

BCR, sounds like a very sane way to handle the issue except for a few minor things:
    He's cutting out a piece of fence and he's tearin' down the posted signs. This tells me he's MORE than aware of where the property line is. He somehow just feels he has as much right to the land as the owner does.

My first instinct was to reply with "shoot his 4-wheeler out from under him", until someone early on pointed out that he's a nut with a gun. Good point, and well taken.

I agree he's got an "in" with the cops. Who knows? Brother might be the sheriff. Time to move to higher levels of authority... and I'd start with a restraining order to make it official.

20. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Easy--I understand. Our fence got cut several times a year, but we didn't have livestock there so it wasn't the same problem. And the signs came down but I bought a roll of 100 (about 20 cents each of Tyvek) and reposted as needed.

Another thing I did was to take all the %$#* the owner before us left behind in the field and piled it where they were cutting the fence. With all the debris where it was and the trees bordering, they had nowhere else to go, but they did try. I was diligent and returned and piled and spread the metal, wire etc. around there each time it was tampered with. That way when I wasn't there there was still a distraction. They eventually got tired of running through our property. What with the crazy lady coming out and chatting and the dogs trained to herd deer OFF the property and the pile of junk to wade through, shoot, there were easier hunting grounds.

And I forgot. Now we have a neighbor we let hunt and he pretty much has the word out that it is his space. No more problems. He knows the good old boys around in a way us gals don't.