Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do! We have cedar that needs cut and no money. So we are on our second year of a cedar Christmas tree. It's not exactly symetrical, doesn't smell like the ones at the store (but does smell pretty good), and it will have to go as soon as the gifts are open, because it'll be dry as an old bone, but it's our tree and we love it! The kids get a real kick out of cutting our own, and I know they'll have silly stories to tell their kids.

Are we the only ones? Surely not!

·
Dairy/Hog Farmer
508 Posts
We always have had a cedar tree...always cut it out of the pasture or at the edge of the woods. Never cut it until the week before Christmas, that's always been our family's tradition.Lot of the time there's an empty bird nest somewhere in the branches, so we leave it for decoration.
Every year when we put it up,I can stillremember how the house smelled like Christmas.....turns me into a little kid, LOL

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
We had cedar trees for christmas for years and years. Kids had a great time looking for the perfect tree in our pastures. Seems like we always found one that was a foot too tall when we got home. LOL. Loved the smell, hated the needles falling. Finally got a artifical tree just to avoid the mess, but it isn't the same. Kids are gone now and its so much easier for the Mrs and I to just set up the fake tree.

·
Chief Goat Wrangler
346 Posts
We always had a cedar tree when I was growing up. We were dirt poor, and grandma had acres and acres of woods behind her house. We would trek out there and dad would chop the perfect one down. I thought we were the only ones.
The last few years we have had an artificial tree, this year I am trying to talk hubby into a cedar from down by our own creek. Sure never thought I would miss it, but I do.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
We had one for a couple of years. I loved it. The only thing I hated was the fact it would really hurt if you touched it. There is nothing soft about it.

We went w/ an artificial tree cuz there was less fire hazzard and the timing didn't have to be watched as close.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
We have an artificial tree,but that smell, that Christmasey smell I remember so well all my life, that we had real cedar trees,is no longer there. Next year we gotta have a real cedar. I want all them grandkids to smell what Christmas is supposed to smell like. I just might take this no smelling store bought tree down tomorrow and hit the woods with my Husky and get a REAL CHRISTMAS TREE TIMMMMMBEEER.:D Eddie

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Reminds me of the year I cut a 6' tall buck brush to use as or tree. House smelled of sage for 2 weeks after we took it down.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
I even water my cedar trees all summer (if they need it) and TELL them they will be the Christmas tree this year. Is that weird? They seem to grow extra strong once they know their purpose.:D

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Thats all we ever had when we were growing up. They smelled so good when fresh! Boy they were sure dry when you took them down ,even tho ours always set in a five gallon bucket of water. They sure made prettty Christmas trees,and I loved laying on the floor and watching the patterns those big old lights used to make on the ceiling. Oh,I gotta stop I'm getting homesick!lol. Thanks for the memories!

·
Premium Member
6,002 Posts
Used to have them every year, son and i picked em out when he got big enough, now that it is just me in the house, i just use a fakce one so i don't have so much mess. Still use the cowboy theme in decorating it most years though. Ya know, a lariat for a garland, that kind of thing.
Ed

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Thats all we ever had when we were growing up. They smelled so good when fresh! Boy they were sure dry when you took them down ,even tho ours always set in a five gallon bucket of water. They sure made prettty Christmas trees,and I loved laying on the floor and watching the patterns those big old lights used to make on the ceiling. Oh,I gotta stop I'm getting homesick!lol. Thanks for the memories!
Yea,and them big old bulbs would burn your fingers to, but that was ok, because a few burns, never would keep them lights off the tree, after all its Christmas,and them brite lights and smelling them green cedars are letting us know it.Then when it was time to take the lights off and the tree down and face the sadness of knowing Christmas had past,but also knowing that next Christmas was coming and we started planning for the best tree and the greatest Chirstmas ever.:bouncy: Eddie

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have our place we are working on, but still live in the city. Decided we would celebrate Christmas down there. The cedar tree is what we are using. Walked into the woods and cut a little one down. Cranberries and popcorn for the decorations. Best tree I have ever had.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
We had one a few times growing up. Mom said she did it for the sake of nostalgia since she was so poor growing up they couldn't buy a tree. They would go out in the timber and find a cedar. If you search enough you can even find one that has a little green in it. Some seem to be more brown than others in the winter but you can find a greener one here and there.

·
Banned
1,811 Posts
I'm from North Carolina. OF COURSE we have cedar Christmas trees! It's the only native thing around here that LOOKS like a Christmas tree! I've always loved the cedar smell, combined with the wonderful aroma of gingerbread men ornaments hung with red curling ribbon.

Haven't put up a tree in years, but here's what I might do this year. I have a huge pottery jug sitting in my living room, and I think that I'm going to cut a little cedar to plunk down in that jug full of water. Won't level it up, or even put lights and decorations on it. Will just put it there for the smell alone.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It's all we ever have... though we certainly could have something else if we wanted. We cut a cedar off the place the weekend before Christmas, which is about the time, now that all the kids come rolling in. We decorate after dinner that first evening, and have homemade chocolate pudding after we're done. ( My BIL has a psychic connection to this pudding, as he can tell from 30 miles away when it will be done and shows up just in time).

The trees we pick ALWAYS have some personality quirks... and sometimes, some stowaways (the year, I was bed rest pregnant and we had several praying mantis eggcases hatch out in the tree). My youngest wrote an award winning essay on our 'weird' Christmas trees, one year, when the essay contest was about family traditions. It was too cute!

This past weekend, my daughter was home for Thanksgiving, and we were sitting knitting by the fire and I said that I'd been thinking about having an artificial tree , as I would really enjoy it longer than the one week, since I'm home alone with the one teen all week, and when I looked up from my knitting, she had an expression on her face as if I had just suggested that I might skip the holidays all together. It was priceless.
So onward with our usual tradition... a weird, crooked, much too tall for the ceiling cedar tree, the week before Christmas.

Yeah for holiday memories...

dawn

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
Yep, we've had a cedar tree several times. (Often, when I was growing up). We've had a few years when we were wealthy enough for a pine/fir, and then we've also had a couple years where we've gone this route:

:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts