Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typed up a list a few months ago. I put everything on it that I felt I needed for my prep's. Everything from salt to nails to solar panels. It was several pages long and in great detail. Gave a copy to my GF, just in case I needed her to do some emergency last minute shopping.

The list actually includes all the stuff for the new house (I can fabricate a lot of things, but it's so much easier just buying things like nails and pipe and whatnot now, while it's common, available, and cheap)

I prioritized the list, from absolute needs to wanty wanty wishes...

Well, I have, for once, an excess of funds available currently, and I've been plugging up the holes. Each time I fill in a major hole, and sometimes even the 'minor' ones, I feel the warm fuzzies inside. Like today when an two cases of ammunition arrived from UPS...:rolleyes:

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Congratulations on plugging those holes.

It always feels good to get a step closer to your goals.

Angie

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
warm fuzzies from a delivery of ammunition? Hmmmm......... Showing a new side of yourself Texican? :cute: :)

But yes, I feel so much better every time I check something off the list. Trouble is, my list is so darned long!

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Oh, yes, especially if that hole had "chocolate" written on it! LOL Trouble with most of those holes is, you fill them today and turn around and they are empty again, cause SOMEBODY keeps eating the chocolate.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
YES! Every little item I add to the preps makes me feel better. Large items make me walk on clouds for a few days. :)

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Oh, absolutely! I'm still gushing about my water filter system, for example. ;) Having that huge hole plugged is awesome. Adding a way to wash clothes and a manual grain grinder so far this year makes me feel a little more secure, too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I noticed some "C" type batteries had gone bad; and they weren't that old. Actually it was one that went bad and I had to throw several of them away. :( That made me check out the rest of my supplies to make sure they were all still good. What gives me warm fuzzies is when I can sneak one more thing past DH's radar and know it is there amongst the other 'stuff.'

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's this forums fault that my list keeps getting longer!

Everytime I think I have a good handle on things someone here brings up something I don't have or posts a picture of something really cool and next thing I know I have a bad case pf "preppers envy" and I have to put it on my list and start saving for it. :)

Sometimes I feel like a kid in the schoolyard the week after Christmas when everyone is telling what they got from Santa and all the other kids run home "Mom I want one! Johnny got one!"

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I will be starting a new job in 3 weeks and then I will have extra cash to fill in the gaping holes in my preps. We have been living off of a lot of my food preps for the last two months.

We have a small house and storage is limited so I have had to get creative. We bought a huge new-to-us sectional sofa and I have been able to store sooo much stuff under it (old sofa had no usable space under it) and behind the rounded middle section where the two ends meet there is a good amount of space too.

A few weeks ago I smelled gas in my basement and called the gas company. They said they were sending someone out within an hour to check for a leak. I PANICKED. ALL my food preps have been stacked all over the place down there and anyone that would walk in there would think im crazy. I have been telling myself for months that I need to get them organized and stashed away but a combination of being too lazy and not having anywhere else to put them got in the way. So I started throwing towels, clean clothes and blankets over piles of stuff, it looked like I hadnt done laundry in a month! That got my butt in gear and I have started to organize and stash them away. My goal is to get it done before I start my new job when I wont have as much free time as I do now.

·
I am good without god.
858 Posts
I prefer to fill holes in preparations with knowledge as that is often less expensive to obtain than some of the preparation items when on a tight budget. For me it makes as much sense to know what you can substitute or reuse or obtain through a different approach as creative problem solving goes a long way toward being prepared.

If you depend upon only one way, or item, to solve an issue or meet a need you may get tunnel vision and not leave yourself open to another option.

So yes, I do feel better when I fill holes in preparations, especially when I know many ways to reach the same end point or level of preparedness.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It does feel good doesn't it!

Now where online did you purchase ammunition as that is one hole I still have.

Rose
For very common calibers, you can get up to date price comparisons on http://gun-deals.com/ammo I've also bought from sportsmansguide.com and rguns.com

I did not have anything in my collection that could be considered a zombie gun (euphemism for an evil black rifle, or assault weapon). My bolt action rifles will last me a lifetime....shooting a box or two of shells a year.... however, shooting hundreds of rounds at a time is not good... could burn the barrel out, and also clean out my p/*ocketbook. Factory ammo for my 300 win mag is about 1.50/round... premium is 2 to 3 bucks a round. I handload, so the price is a small percentage of 'new' ammo.

I do handload, but I found a rifle cartridge that is cheaper than the price of a reload projectile. 12c/round for a rifle bullet is a bargain (5.45x39), when a .223 bullet alone costs ~20c/rd, plus the primer and the powder needed. The 5.45x39 is a very uncommon caliber, so I purchased several lifetimes supply. Three cases on hand, another three on the way. 1080 rounds/$130.`

A more common caliber is the 7.62x39. I'm getting dies, brass, bullets and a couple cases of milsurp ammo.

I'm trying to have on hand a minimum of 500 rounds for all my firearms. And have several thousand projectiles, primers, and powder sufficient to reload. Also extra 'generic' powders, bullet moulds, lube, and gas checks, to make my own bullets, if need be. Had great success with some handgun rounds.

Ammo is hard to find right now, in certain calibers. I use google quite a bit, and search by caliber.

I've found it hard to spend hard earned money on bullets, and extra firearms. Once I convinced myself that there was zero downside, I've took the plunge. If need be, I can later sell the bullets, or the guns, and not lose any money.

Blame it all on Obama. If we had a president elect that loved America and loved his guns, I could have spent a vast sum of cash on something else. Don't tell me I can't do something.... in six weeks. Cause sure enough, I'm going to go out and do that something, before the six week period is up.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Today I discovered how good it feels to enlarge the preps even if it's not filling a hole. I picked up an extra rake & hoe for the garden, 3 more hanging flashlights w/ batteries, and a tent light. The tent light is new to me. It has 24 LED lights and runs on 4 AAA batteries. It has a hook on top to hang it in the tent. When I got home I tried it out to see how much light it provides and I'm happy with it. Not bad for $7.50! I plan to pick up a few more of them in the near future since our elect is so undependable here.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah, absolutely. We finally got our handpump installed, so now we have no worries about water, which is a FANTASTIC feeling. The one thing that I'm thinking I want now is lots more wheat - I'm learning to bake bread and am honestly amazed at how much hard red spring wheat I've gone through over the past couple weeks. Other than that though, I feel pretty good about my supplies and our ability to survive for an extended period down here.

Honestly, what I want/need to start doing again is shopping for the next couple sizes for my son and start for the new baby (due august 11)... though I'm hesitant to really start on that till I/we know if its a boy or a girl, and its hard to find gender neutral stuff in that age range for some reason (or, at least it is at the goodwill/used clothing stores.. which is where 100% of my clothes shopping happens;)

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Texican - I also get the warm fuzzy feelings when the UPS delivery person bring me a package that they are struggling with. I buy my ammo online at the sportsmansguide.com. I am a buyer's club member, yet they seem to be out of stock on some ammunition at the moment.. Last month I just got from them another sealed spam can 1,240 rounds of 7.62X25mm Tokarev - one of my CCW pistol calibers that started out as a Russian/ Soviet-Bloc submachinegun round (1600 f.p.s. @ 610 ft. lbs. of energy)

In the last two weeks I acquired a large dutch oven from a 2nd hand shop, and a folding Coleman oven off of Freecycle. So I am now assured of being able to bake brownies or other goodies, when TSHTF!!!

Today I found some Remington game load 12 gauge #6 shot shotgun shells @$5.99 a box, so I picked up 4 boxes (100 rounds). There were even more warm fuzzies, while I packing them in ziploc bags - then into a .50 caliber ammo can when I arrived home (five boxes of 12 gauge shells will fill a .50 caliber ammo can). Now I need acquire another 20mm ammo can to put the additional .50 caliber and .30 caliber cans into... I live in a very humid marine enviroment, so I have to moisture proof everything for storage...

I keep telling myself, that I could use a few new supplimental 12VDC deep-cycle sealed gel cell batteries for all of the 12VDC items I have here.. Then I would need additional solar panels to charge them, so the wish list keeps growing.

Check out the alkaline/ dry cell batteries for the "best by dates"... Recently I have had a 'store brand' 4 pack of AA cells go bad in the original package with a powdery discharge from a ruptured battery, and the store exchanged them with a best by date of April 2009. No receipt needed, and they were happy to do so...

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Radiofish... I got some ammo last week from sportsmansguide. I'd already ordered some more from them, thinking my two spam cans from rguns.com would never be ordered. {they're web site said don't dare ask about 'status' or your order would go to the end of the list... so I didn't). And then the spam cans arrived. For the 5.45x39, I'm looking at +6K rounds. Now to 'find' some 7.62x39. Academy had it in stock last week for 28c/round... a little steep, but 'available'.

I've got ammo backordered, but rather have some 'in hand'.

I need to research batteries this weekend, and see which type has the longest life, unused and in storage. Whether it's best to buy wet batteries, that dont have the acid added, and add it when actually needed.... or simply buy a battery bank with a life span long enough I'll never have to worry about replacing it in the future. Currently I use 6v deep cycle golf cart batteries for my 12vdc bank.

And I never turn down cast iron anything! It doesn't eat, and out of the weather, will last ten forevers...

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Wow, I am impressed, to make a list AND prioritize it! I kind of have a list in my head but I guess I thought it would be too time consuming and depressing to actual put in print all the items still lacking! A printed list would help me figure out what needs further research so maybe it really is a good time investment. Maybe that will become my next project before I start cutting z's :). It is a goood feeling to know a hole has been filled though!

Are you concerned with mail ordering ammo? Especially large amounts of ammo? I was thinking gun shows but they are kind of out of "season" around here right now, something about all of this snow.

RF, I see you have a helper. I ususlly have at least one black cat (4 black cats out of nine) and one puppy "helping".

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you concerned with mail ordering ammo? Especially large amounts of ammo? I was thinking gun shows but they are kind of out of "season" around here right now, something about all of this snow.
I use to be so paranoid, that I was afraid of myself... :angel:

The only way tptb would not know of a transaction would be a face-to-face transaction. Gunshow? Don't think they're monitored?

I can live with my paranoia a lot better when I have something in hand (instead of waiting for a face to face transaction that might never happen) that the govt. might want to ban or confiscate.

If you go on some of the gun boards, my teensy little case is nothing... some of these guys have 20+ cases and buying more.

The feds might 'know' where I live. The local LE 'doesn't'. The constable has been down a few times.

If the Jack Booted Leftists start door to door confiscations, everything here will disappear quickly. I daresay I could find a place on my land or the wilderness behind me, to hide something. Iraq hid all of their WMD's pretty neatly... after we gave them several weeks (or months) to hide them.

*Most of the stuff on my list, is replacement stuff... A shovel will last forever, if taken care of... but most cannot survive the tractor tire monster (been there, done that). I can fabricate pretty much anything, with a drawknife and a blacksmithing setup, but it's a lot easier to purchase stuff NOW! I'd hate to go into TEO with a bunch of fiat currency in hand.

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
As with many things in life, much of it is a gamble. I've had some "holes" in my preps I wanted to fill for years, but I tried to fill the important areas first. Even now, there are things I wouldn't mind having, but I did try to make sure I took care of the essential stuff first.:rock:

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Yeah, I took Cyngbaeld's advice and made out a list of preps based on what is most likely to happen in my area, all the areas I want to cover, and at least 3 different ways to cover it. I am working from that to make sure my most important needs are met, shelter, warmth, water, food, light, sanitation, protection, etc. It's still a work in progress, but I'm able to see what I need to do to improve my preps and what my priorities should be. And every time I fill a hole, it feels really good!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts