Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I attempted to dry banana slices. I have a 9-tray Excalibur and like banana chips in the "trail mix" I create for my healthy snacks. (Those in the stores have sugar added to them.) Unfortunately the only bananas I had to work with were those that had ripened to the extent they were not enjoyed fresh; thus had been sitting in the freezer for 4 yrs. Oh yes they were mushy when I placed them in the dehydrator! And it took a bit over 4 hrs for them to dry...ummm well not completely dry as they were pliable.

I think I cut them too thin too!

My dilemma is that the store-bought bananas looking good enough to actually purchase and take a chance on their taste do not actually ripen as in times past. Instead, they just start turning dark! (Seems much of the fresh fruit in the grocery stores are like this. Green with very little taste and very little water in them.) However, we have occasionally found some eatable bananas; so I'm thinking maybe I will make another attempt to dehydrate those, cutting them a bit thicker than I did this time.

Anyone in here create their own banana chips? If so, I sure would appreciate some suggestions as to how to get them a bit more similar to those bought in the stores.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
We dehydrate lots and lots of banana chips. We buy the marked down bananas at the local supermarket. Right now we have 4 gallon ziplock freezer bags full. You aren't going to get the same look and taste as the store bought ones because they use preservatives and some spray a thin layer of syrup on them. We typically have them in the dehydrators for a day or so. We also dehydrate strawberries, apples, peaches, pears, pineapples, blueberries and just about any other fruit we grow ourselves or an buy at a reasonable price. I love putting some dehydrated fruit pieces in my morning oatmeal.

·
Premium Member
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike for responding. I do know the store-bought banana chips taste sweet; so I knew some type of sugar was added. I'm now considering purchasing some store-bought bananas, slicing them 1/4" thick (still too thin???) & coating them with some raw honey prior to dehydrating them. I'm guessing these will take a lot more than 4 hrs in this dehydrating machine; so I'll start at 6 hrs and test at that time. :)

There is just no better snack than a trail mix designed specifically for the needs of my family, i.e. fruit/nuts to help keep red blood cells healthy, turn acidity in the stomach to alkaline and help with the pain in my joints. (I always put a mixture of turmeric, ginger & black pepper in there too.)

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
some of the large groceries do bagged bananas for 10 cents less a pound, we also have a gas station chain in WI Kwik Trip the sells bananas the bananas they sell are a little smaller in size but taste good to me.

if it tastes good to eat , it will taste better to dehydrate

buy a banana , go outside eat it if it is woody and bland move on if it has good flavor go buy a bunch.

we had a local fruit store , they cost more but they always had samples , you could taste the apple before you bought it , used to buy cases of grapefruit and other things there , the owner retired and closed the store , it was a great place to get good fruit.

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
I tried the honey coating and could not get them dry enough to not be a sticky mess. If you figure it out please post

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Most all bananas are gassed right before they go to the store. We can't eat the banana's that have been gassed as they make us sick.

So, the grocery here before they ship the bananas to the store they leave us case outside the gassing chamber for us then ship with the rest of the bananas' to the store. Every once in awhile a employee makes the mistake of putting our bananas out. They try to collect the right ones but I can always tell which of the the banana have been gassed as they are not as sweet and taste chalky. I have had a case of bananas last 3 months in our basement in the winter.

As for dehydrating mine have always come out flexible. I use them mostly in granola bars. One day I will get a freeze dryer. I like freeze dried fruit much better than dehydrated (with the exception of pineapple and pears).

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I have never even heard of banana chips. What do you do with them? I have some wood chips, and a few cow chips laying around. Is this something I should add to my preps?

·
Registered
34,279 Posts
I don't like banana chips. Too sweet

Are homemade ones less sweet?

·
Premium Member
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ROFL Muleskinner2 you are so funny!

HD Rider This was my first time to dehydrate banana; and though they did not turn out (texture wise) the way I expected, they do have a delicious sweet flavor.

Pete that is an excellent idea! I am going to try that with a variety of fresh fruits next time I'm shopping. I will simply buy one of each wanted, pay for it, take it outdoors and see if it is edible! If I like it I can return and buy the product. (Sure would be nice to have fresh fruit I could count on. The weather zapped our fruit trees the last few years. The only one we got fruit from was the Asian Pear; and every single fruit was mis-shapen.....why? I have no idea!)

Ziptie, where do you live that you have access to bananas prior to their being shipped to stores? (Just a general location is ok.)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
ROFL Muleskinner2 you are so funny!

HD Rider This was my first time to dehydrate banana; and though they did not turn out (texture wise) the way I expected, they do have a delicious sweet flavor.

Pete that is an excellent idea! I am going to try that with a variety of fresh fruits next time I'm shopping. I will simply buy one of each wanted, pay for it, take it outdoors and see if it is edible! If I like it I can return and buy the product. (Sure would be nice to have fresh fruit I could count on. The weather zapped our fruit trees the last few years. The only one we got fruit from was the Asian Pear; and every single fruit was mis-shapen.....why? I have no idea!)

Ziptie, where do you live that you have access to bananas prior to their being shipped to stores? (Just a general location is ok.)

It is a Hyvee store that was willing to do it for me. Called other stores and their supplier would not set the one box outside the gassing chamber. I will say that I try to pick up the bananas as soon as they come in the store. The longer my box of bananas are around the gassed ones the faster they ripen. Have to buy a whole case of bananas's at a time but not a big deal for us. What we can't eat fast enough they go in the freezer for smoothies or banana bread.

·
Gadabout
3,106 Posts
First thing is use bananas that are sweet to begin with. I slice them fairly thin into water with a little lemon juice added. Scoop them out of the water, lay them out on the dehydrator trays and let them go until they're totally dry. Often that means 2 days in the dehydrator. The lemon juice keeps them from turning dark and drying concentrates the sugar so they're sweet. I have some that I dried more than 10 years ago and they're still good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe most grocery stores will let you taste the produce before you buy it. As the produce worker for a taste, they are usually happy to visit and help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts