Anyone else burning a fire tonight??

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Queen Bee, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a fire in our wood-insert and it feels sooooo good! It's very cold and windy and It feels wonderful in the house.. It is starting to feel like Christmas..
    Anyone else burning wood tonight????

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

well, its 18 degrees outside and expected to get colder... we have a wood fire most nights because our heater doesnt keep up very well.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Same here!

big rockpile

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

Our fire has not gone out in two months.

5. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

We sure do! It is cold out there! Supposed to be in the 20's tonight with a wind chill in the teens. We are supposed to warm back up next week to more normal temps.

Sherry in GA

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I was in town all day. When I got home there were a few little tiny coals left. It was 34 degrees when I drove up to the house. I forgot to turn on the gas heater before I left so I've been busy for the last hour, getting a bed of coals built up for the night. It's finally starting to warm up in here.

7. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

You can bet yer' ...farm animals I do! Got both stoves going. Been learning the hard way about heating solely with wood but getting the hang of it.

8. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh yes, got er goin.

9. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

All I have is wood.I have a outdoor wood stove.

10. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Sure! I use wood for moat of my heat. The propane is just for a back up. :dance:

11. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

Its 17 here and the wood stove is nice and toasty.

12. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

It is 19 here and expected to drop to 12 with a wind chill of 0. I have a fire burning in the wood stove. I hope it dont go out early in the morning. Burrr. I will have to drag myself out of the bed and check it.

13. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

We have been using our woodstove for about a month and a half now. That is all we heat with and it doesn't heat the whole house. It does the living room, kitchen and 2 kids rooms well but not the office, bathroom, 1 kids room and our room.
    It was nice and toasty in the living room though.

14. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I thought that North Carolina was one o' those southern states...below the Mason Dixon line and all....a Confederate State. Heck, we've been burning firewood for over a month now. I didn't think that people had to heat their homes below the Mason Dixon line....all they had to worry about was the price of electricity for their air conditioners.

15. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I built a fire in the fireplace right about dark. Should have done it earlier. All the dogs and cats are snoozing in front of the fire and I've had a very peaceful evening!

16. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

It's 19 degrees now and going to be 12 degrees by morning. You can bet the wood stove is fired up! Toasty warm and lovin it.

17. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

The fire in our insert has been burning for about two weeks straight now. It doesn't heat the entire house - I'm glad we have an oil furnace too - but it sure does a great job on our lower level where my office/sewing room is. And since I've been doing a lot of sewing, I'm grateful for the fire.

I try to keep it going all the time, or at least not to let it cool off too much, because if it gets cold it's a real pain to get the air going up the flue where it belongs instead of letting the smoke go the wrong way into the family room! Someone said once (I forget where I heard it) that they "preheated" their chimney by burning a candle in the fireplace for about an hour before they planned to light a fire. I'll have to try that next time.

18. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

You bet! It was 8* (F) the last time I checked and windchill must make it about 0*. DH got a little over zealous and it's 84* according to my digital thermometer on top of the computer stand so I'm more than cozy... that's ok though because it warms up the bathroom and kids rooms.

19. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

When you start the fire use lots of papers (newspaper, not the shiny colored ad pages) and put a slightly crinkled page on top of the paper/kindling-- light the page on top first to set the draft. Then quickly light the paper underneath and shut the door.

20. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Next time, try cracking open a window or door before you attempt starting a fire. I bet it makes a big difference which will allow the draft to go up the chimney rather than into your family room.