Anyone dug a well by hand??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by allenslabs, Apr 7, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I am wanting to install (actually talk hubby into doing it! HAHA!) a hand pump. We have a well w/ an electric pump and I am wanting to install a handpump so that we can have a backup. Our well now I think is only like 60-70 feet deep. I am wnating to stick it by the garden as well to be handy. Plus we're gonna put cows over there as well so I could water them w/ that. Ok so any ideas? I don't have any of what I would need either so if you guys know what I need that would be great toO!! Thanks!!

2. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

why don't you drive a well point into the ground with extensions? Digging seems to be overkill and a lot of work. Somebody tell me if this won't work for what allenslabs wants...or can you just attach a hand pump to the existing well?

3. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

4. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Neat! Seems like a lot of money though. We can get another well put in w/ a hand pump for approx $1200 as we have a real shallow well now. Just about 60-70 ft. If I read that right it seems about the same amount of money. But I will show it DH and see what he says. Thanks!

5. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

In the not so distant past, people dug shallow wells by using a "drop auger". It is possible to go as much as 60-80 feet using this labor intensive technique. The tools required are a tripod (three trees), old well pulley (or equiv), and the drop auger itself. A auger is simple to make- take a piece of 2 in steel square tubing...cut about 6 ft. long, weld a 6" diameter piece of pipe (with a slit in the bottom sides about 4 inches about 12 inches long) to the tubing (using two piece of rebar on either side) and a circle at the top to tie the rope (use about 100' heavy rope. Then go to town - simply drop and the large pipe will pick up about a half a shovel full when retracted. You'll be surprised how quickly it goes - and fun when you hit water.... It was very important to have someone "witch" a proper location. You'll end up with a hand dug well about 8 inches in diameter.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter