Homesteading Forum banner

Anyone drive a Dodge Durango?

484 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  unregistered29228 
#1 ·
Going to go take one tomorrow to a mechanic friend---

1998 5.9L engine V-8 with all the bells and whistles... got 90K on it, but only one owner and he is selling because he upgraded to an Oddessey..... he was asking for $3700 - we offered $3G and he will hold until we get our taxes back (the 30th) if all goes well at the mechanics.... (he is a mechanic and wanted us to get a second opinion!! I was impressed!!)

curious about what others think of them?????

#4 ·
I think mine has the 5.7 in it, but...Absolutely, hands down, no kiddin' best vehicle I've ever owned. My 98 SLT Durango has 83,000 miles on it, fully loaded, I love it. I parked it last spring, though, because it is NOT fuel efficient by any means, DH wanted me to get something smaller and we came across a deal we could not pass by. I miss it so much, especially with all this snow we have had this winter (even though my "new" vehicle is all wheel drive - nothing like that big, tall 4-wheel drive in the winter!). Since sitting there have been a couple minor things go wrong with it and, living with 3 mechanics, of course I can't get it fixed -LOL. It was getting a little rust on the bumpers and around the inside edge of the back hatch. I guess I should sell it because I'm paying insurance on it for nothing, really. It's the only vehicle I've ever had that will HURT to get rid of. It's a nice Dodge bright red with gray leather interior...oh man, I really do miss it.

Edited to add: DH has an '02 Ram quad cab with the 5.9 in it; yes, not great milage, but no problems with it whatsoever. Son has an '00 Dakota with the 5.9 in it, no problems with the engine all, but he did have to replace the balljoints.

#5 ·
We are looking for a vehicle so we can carry 7 people, tow up to 6000 lbs and will handle all sorts of weather....

We have to drive back to KS sometime in the next year (we plan to pull a trailer back to OR)

Our original plan was to fly to KS (3 people ONLY), rent a u-haul and drive back.....(needing care for the other two children who would stay behind)

however, we determined that in the right vehicle, we could drive there (5-6 people), rent a small u-haul trailer or buy a trailer outright and then drive back for much less......

Durango seemed to fit that need....

#6 ·
we have the same thing, only the 2000...we love it,
but i second what other have already said...
transmission serviceing is a must!!!
poor gas milage!!!
but comfortable, usable and we love it...every time we take "another" car, we always say, "why didn't we take the durgano"...

Belinda

#7 ·
Change the tranny fluid EVERY 30,000 miles. No if's ands or buts. Just do it.

Be CERTAIN you use the correct fluid. It will be either Chrysler ATF+3 or +4. You MUST use only the correct fluid.

The overdrive in those trucks are notoriously weak. Regular maintenance is mandatory.

And yes, the 5.9 / 360 is a gas hog. But it is also a torque monster. They run forever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.