Anyone drilled their own well before?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bouncenhumble, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Bouncenhumble

Bouncenhumble Active Member

Has anyone out there ever tried to drill their own well? I have a Hydra-drill well driller that I used for the first time today. We've gone down about 40 feet so far. I'm having a hard time figuring out if I've hit water or not. If I hit a vein of water, how big would the gravel in the cuttings be that are washed out of the hole? Is there any way to tell if/when you hit water? I'm afraid I"m going to miss it and drill deeper then I have to.
    Hmmm....do I sound ignorant? Uhm...that would be because I am!

2. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

ask your neibor's who have wells where there water is at for first thing that'll let you hit the general area they are in.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Determining if you have hit water is not difficult. All you need to do is to fill the hole with water. An almost equal amount of water can be poured into a hole as can be extracted. Therefore, if the hole will fill then you have not hit water!

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never drilled a well, but have washed down several in my area-------With Big pipe--------using 3" pvc to wash down the well with a gas pump, pumping a 100 gallons per minute through the pipe-------when I hit a stream the pipe would drop so fast I would have to hold it to keep it from going down so fast and the 100 gallons per minute that was coming out the washed out hole would almost stop, hardly no water will come to the top. Just before it would drop it might take 30 minutes to go 1 or 2 feet then the bottom drops out. Don't know about your area, but thats the way it works for me here. I have very few rocks here. I would feel your drilling would get real easy or alot faster. But never been there and Done That!! Randy

5. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Where are you in Ohio? I've owned a couple places in NW Ohio..... one had a 25' well. The other is about 130'.

6. Pyrenees

Pyrenees Well-Known Member

That is so foreign to my ears I just have to chuckle. Average well depth around here is 400 feet plus. In this area of Colorado well-diggers make very good $$$.

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

How much did your hydra-drill cost?

8. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Will you hire out? Would you come to GA?