Anyone do gourd crafts and gourd growing?

Discussion in 'Crafting' started by TedH71, May 12, 2020.

1. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew some gourds years ago and didn't do anything. I'm wanting to do stuff with gourds this year and yes, I plan to grow some.

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO Be powerful. No other option exists. Supporter

Years ago, I grew a lot of gourds. Some of my art students painted them. Some carved them. It’s a great winter project.

3. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Lots of gourd crafting in the southwest. The gourds seem to lend themselves to Native American art. I've always thought about doing that craft, but it's been a "next year I'll do it" project.

4. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

This thread just reminded me I have gourd seeds from a teacher who did a gourd project years ago. I wonder if they will sprout.

We made lanterns with the gourds she grew. Cut the top off and drilled holes in them so the light would peak out. We also painted them.

5. weaselfire

weaselfire Well-Known Member

There's a couple who do the local fairs and events selling gourd products from ones they grow. Make A reasonable living as I understand.

Jeff

6. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually grow gourds. I have some nice ones in the basement I planned on making bird houses with. I have done them in the past with poor results. Even after scrubbing and sanding the paint still peeled off. The one unpainted gourd hung in a tree for a couple years but was never used by birds.
    I have seen some very beautiful wood burning projects done on gourds. I never tried it.