anyone do dahlias?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Reauxman, May 8, 2005.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I have planted about 30 tubers this year. First year and addicted. Haven't even gotten a flower, heck, they haven't even broken ground and I want more....lol. Anyone have any they want to let go? I can purchase or I'm willing to send you a list of what I have planted and I can send you tubers from them in the fall. If all else fails, I may have to order 10 CLUMPS.

Anyone else addicted to these? I'm not a flower type of guy, but these have hit that spot. Anything with 1000's of different types so varied is a force t be reconed with!

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Try planting from seed; they are really easy if you water often and plant in good soil.

3. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

But I can't find tubers for named varieties. I ended up buying 10 more clumps last night.

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I love dalhias--so expensive individually but I have had great sucess starting them from seed. By fall they already have good size bulbs forming and the ones I've saved the past two years are up and strong plants already in my greenhouse. Have a friend who raised them commercially in CA so he is a font of info. DEE

5. Happyfarmwife

Happyfarmwife Well-Known Member

I love dahlias too! I only have 4 planted this year. I used to grow them years ago. I would take any tubers that other gardeners were getting rid of. They are just great!

My grandmother used to love dahlias. When I was a little girl I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. They didn't even smell good!

When I fell in love with dahlias in my early 30s I had realized I must be getting old! LOL

Deborah

6. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Brought home some on a whim a couple of years ago, and now I have to dig up lawn since my garden area has become home to a lot of tubers. My wife is growing some for the cut flower market. I think this is just her excuse to indulge in another "secret passion". Well I am off to pick up anther box of Dahlias from the Post office.