Anyone dealt with Energy Supermarket?

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by mjl, Jun 29, 2006.

1. mjl

mjl Well-Known Member

I want to buy a Global Sun Oven. They have a good price listed ($174.99 w/o shipping) but I have no experience with this company. Can any one give me some feed back?

TIA - Maggie

2. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Hello,

I can't give you any advice about the store but I can give you advice about the Global Sun Oven.

I was very excited to order mine. I got a great price on it and because of a screw up on the web page of the place I ordered it from I ended up getting free shipping. What a great deal I thought! Well, when it arrived and I check it out I realized I had bought an over priced solar oven that I could have built myself for probably a hundred dollars cheaper.

The biggest problem is that is not stable in winds without being modified. Also, it's not heavy but it's very awkward to move around when you have something in it, so unless you have a spot that gets sun all day it's a pain. I have several trees and have to move mine around the yard to keep it in the best sun throughout the day. The reason it’s unstable is that they have one leg in the middle of the back and when the reflectors catch even a slight breeze it tumbles over. I fixed this problem by screwing a long board to the front part of the oven, so that it can't tip over. One other real dumb thing is that the thermometer is inside the oven and when the oven gets hot the condensation makes it nearly impossible to read the thermometer.

All that being said, I have enjoyed having it and have made stews, brownies and breads in it. It’s really best for things that are okay with being cooked at sort of a low temp for a long period of time. Here in mid state NY even in the summer it tops out at about 275-300 max temp. Usually it hangs around 250 or so, summer or winter.

Anyone with any skill could make a solar oven that would work equally well or better for much less than they charge.

Scotty

PS.

Here is another link to check out. I don’t have any relationship with them. I just saw them at a festival and thought they’re worth passing along. They are built cheaper but are much cheaper as well. www.solarovens.org

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We've had our Sun Oven for 12 year or more, and would agree that you can home-build something that works as well. However, I think they are worth the money for a durable convenient unit that folds up nicely and is easy to store.

Both the Sun Oven and the Solar Oven were at the recent Energy Fair in Wisconsin, and the Sun Oven folks were sold out early in the fair.

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

My sun oven can do 350 or so degrees.
    I like the portability of their design.

I ordered mine direct from their site.

BooBoo