Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to wether 3 yrlng bucks to sell. Not enough money in it for a vet bill and my vet won't work goats cuz she's pregnant.

·
Premium Member
15,784 Posts
If they are going to slaughter I've heard that some buyers prefer them intact.

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
at this age the scrotum is too big and has lot of blood supply.
a buck can be wethere at this age but need surgery to do it.
why does he has to be wethered to be sold? if the buyer wants it they can have it done with a vet. it will not change his behavior an he still will be smelly.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
The buck like he is will be worth more money than a wether.

Sell him like he is.

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
Nigerians, right April? If you've got time to make sure it works, I think I'd try a burdizzo.

And I can hardly believe that if they quit their bucky behaviour seven months out of the year when intact, they'll keep it up once they're wethered. Nope. I think what you'll have is a buffed-out wether, just like when you cut a stud horse. He acts better, but doesn't suddenly look like a gelding.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have done it, with a nigerian/pygme yearling buck. Worked just fine. And it DID get rid of bucky behavior and smell. If you are carefull, and use a large enough elastrator to fit them through, it will work fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Laura! yes, they are Nigerians. and by the way, we love Argyle's kids! I had 10 wethers to sell (3 were bucks who produced more bucks when I bred them) and I have a buyer who only wants wethers for her pasture to weed it. I really needed to sell them and my meager attempts to put them in the paper had not yielded buyers for them. I live way out of market area. When they gotta go...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These 3 bucks we cut two nights ago. Today they are on their feet and eating and healing up to go to a new home as wethers next weekend.

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
Hi April, I'm glad things went well. And I'm glad you like Argyle's babies. He's a nice boy.

Did the fellow who helped you use tools of any kind to do the job? I tried it with a four-month-old buckling once and thought I'd never get him to quit bleeding. Now I have an emasculator, so no problems with that anymore. I've been considering buying a burdizzo, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts