Anyone clip both sheep and goats with an Oster clipper?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ark, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Do you use the same blade? Or is there a different type blade that you need to use?
    I am pretty sure the blades do not need sharpening. I have only done one goat since I had them sharpened. Now, poor "SHEEP" is dying of heat stroke, and I really need to shear him! But, the clippers wont go anywhere. They get jammed up and wont move. Any hints? Or tips? Or bright ideas?
    "Sheep" will love you if you can help me here.
    :p
    Thanks!

2. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

I am not sure that it can be done. I bought a set last summer to clip my son's show goats and sheep thinking it would work for both. Actually - it was the only machine like that at our local feed store. Anyway - got home and started with the goats and it worked GREAT! Tried it on the market lamb - forget it! It got stuck - wouldn't cut - was just awful! Needless to say we ended up having to use the hand shears. Sorry - that was my experience.

3. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks goatmarm and prairiecomforts! :p

I am using an Oster Clipmaster Varable Speed and the blades say 84AU, whatever that means! They are just the blades that came with the clippers.

But I noticed that the carrying case says that you can clip goats, horses, llamas, and something else, but it does not mention sheep. :rolleyes:

So, I think I will ask over on the sheep messgae board. I cant imagine clipping him without electric clippers!! It is getting very hot here and I need to hurry up and do something. I will try using the scissors on him just to get started. then try the clippers.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Rachel