Anyone breeding Californians?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by joleander, Jul 8, 2005.

1. joleander

joleander Member

I'm new to the forum -- been reading a lot but haven't been posting yet. Wanted to know if anyone is breeding Californians for meat? I've reached the point where I can go to a larger scale operation but would like some opinions from others.

Thanks

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Greetings,

Cals are the second most popular commercial meat breed in the country. We raise them for both show and meat. Do you have Californians yourself or are just considering the breed?

Other commercial breeders I've talked to have reported growth rates comparable to New Zealand Whites, even though Cals can tend to be a bit smaller. Personally, I chose them because I was looking for a good meat/show rabbit, and plain ol' white seemed a little boring. :) Cals of course have those cool black markings. :)

There's also about 16 other breeds :eek: with the same basic body type as New Zealands and Californians, although most of them are show rabbits. The Champagne D'Argent, Satin, and Rex are some other popular meat breeds. New Zealands also come in some other colors besides white.

Best of luck,
    HB

3. joleander

joleander Member

I originally started with 2 does and a buck purchased last year when they were only about 3 mo old. Kept them through the winter and let them age while I was doing research on the breed, etc. I got to know them and just fell in love with them........ I've now got 3 bucks and 4 does that the coloring is dark like I'm wanting to breed for, but I have a quite a few that are just marked with grey instead of the dark black I'm wanting. I've read that that could be due to temperatures here. I live in lower GA and the heat and humidity here in the summer are just AWFUL.

I've quit breeding for a while due to the heat and stress on the does. (I've lost 2 in the last two weeks from the heat). Fans and ice bottles don't even seem to be helping this year.

I've been having really good luck simply selling them off when they get about 2-3 mo old for meat. People around here still butcher a lot themselves. Actually if you call anyone who is processing deer, etc, around here they laugh at you when you want to talk about processing rabbits since everyone pretty much does it themselves.

I'm hoping this forum will be a place to swap ideas, problems, etc. I've learned a lot just reading other posts and would be glad to share info with anyone interested.

I'm currently at 15 Californians, (with 1 more litter due the 19th), a pair of mini-rex and 2 netherland dwarf bucks. Would like to get rid of the mini-rex pair and dwarf bucks I have if anyone is interested.

thanks so much for sharing the info available on this forum. It's a pleasure to run into people so willing to share.

Susan