Anyone breed in the spring?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sheep tamer, Mar 25, 2005.

1. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

One of our nubian does (grade) we bought last summer did not catch and is currently spending time with the buck. <again> Would love any input from fellow goatkeepers who have had successful spring breedings. Until last year, we'd only kept alpines and toggs, which seem to only 'come in' during the fall. We heard nubians have a short spring season...but don't know where to confirm this. (BTW, the buck is definately fertile) :)

The disappointment in her not getting bred last fall and feeding her extra well for the last 5 months would be overshadowed with a late summer kidding, i.e. year-round milk for us! However, we are mildly suspicious about her fertility and want to sell her as a brush goat if she does not take this time...animals have to earn their keep here since we're on such a tight budget.

TIA!

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, Nubians will breed in the spring, at least they do here in Texas. They are considered an "equatorial" breed, that is, they are originally from the part of the world near the equator as opposed to Swiss type goats (Alpines, Saanens, Toggs, Oberhaslis) which are from European descent. I used to raise Nubians and I would often get two "litters" a year from my does. I ran my goats in a free-range herd situation back then and they just bred whenever they wanted. So they gave me two sets of babies each year. These were not heavy milkers, so not much stress was put on their bodies in that regard. People have suggested that LaManchas with their Nubian/Swiss/Earless-breed cross in their original breed origins may also come into heat at unuaual times. I am now raising LaManchas for the first time and am waiting to see if any of that is true.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

they do here in michigan also. I have Nubains, and they will pretty much bred any time, I tell you. that is not a problem. and then we have fall babies, and they do fine., I have one now, I am going to bred this spring. and she will do fine.

4. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I have my breeding age Lamanchas and crosses??running together year round. In four years have had one baby born in Aug,the rest Jan to March.I have 11 does.The one that had the single has had 2,2,2,1,and this Feb 3 babys.10 in 4 yrs aint bad ;)
    Chas

5. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Thanks for the responses...hoping to get another question answered about a way to determine if we've achieved a pregnancy this time...

I think I've heard about a pregnancy test for does...not sure where, or if it's worth the expense.

TIA!