Anyone been logging lately?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Since Katrina, building supplies has gone thru the roof! I'm wondering how much Timber prices have rose, and have any of your took advantage of your timbers at this Peak time for wood?

2. OneWheelBiting

OneWheelBiting Redneck Hippy

I here softwood down south in FL and GA is going pretty good up here in Kentucky we cut hardwood and our market is mainly exports. There has been some spike but nothing we don't see every winter.

3. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

In Mississippi there is so much windfall from Katrina that timber prices are depressed.

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I am currently logging my place and am getting about 446.00 per thousand board feet for lodgepole, somewhat less for doug fir. I dont think the price to the tree owner has gone up but I KNOW the price from the mill to the store and then to the customer has gone up greatly.

5. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh yes, here in Mississippi down timber is everywhere and nobody wants to pay anything for it. I'll let it lay there and rot before I'll give it away to someone else to make a bundle from a bad situation. It's really sad.

6. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Timber prices are in a constant state of change. Prices for high grade red oak in Wisconsin (and the midwest) are down considerably over the last year.
    Prices for white ash & black ash are down to $500/thousand for high grade veneer quality logs. That is because the ash borer is working its way through and killing off most of the ash. Smart people are harvesting huge stands of the wood before it dies and its price plummets to $80 - $120/cord for pulpwood grade ash.

In Mississippi and nearby areas hit by the hurricanes, I am certain prices are far lower for all species native to the area. It goes without saying there is a glut of forest products from salvage operations currently in area. Of course this will depress prices in the short term.

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I'll tell you what, the loggers aren't making anything more off of it.

8. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

When you are charged $20. for a sheet of PLYWOOD that is.... BAAAAD ! and that is in Oregon.

9. MississippiSlim

MississippiSlim Well-Known Member

I heard that they were offering as low as 4.00 a ton for timber down here in Mississippi. I just bought a sawmill so if I can get the fallen timber out of the woods before the beetles get it or it rots I will be cutting my own lumber. If I did not have to go to work I would have more time but then I would not have had money to bu the mil...catch 22