anyone available for a house raising

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Oct 15, 2004.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

We'll be moving to our land in N. AL as soon after closing as possible. Anyone available to help with building. We'll need to get it dried in as quickly as possible. We don't have much building experience, but we're quick studies and pretty handy with a hammer.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Wish I could come down and help! I do wish you luck tho. Hope it all goes well.

3. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

What an opportunity to learn how to build while doing! Too bad I am too far away and low on vacation time right now..... Good luck!

4. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I am no expert carpenter really. But I drive a nail pretty well lol. Youll be a fair piece from us so I am sure we will be able to help some. Count me in. The only time I could help would be on weekend days. Too far to travel for me and fulfill my other obligations business wise during the week. If you will tell me the exact location so I can figure the mileage I can give a better idea of how often I can help. I am about 4 miles east of Addison near Jones Chapel right on the Cullman/Winston County lines. Do you have a pickup for hauling materials etc? Or a flat trailer? As part of our homeschooling this would help me instill a sense of community and things of that nature into my 13 and 14 year old. Trying to teach them you get what you put into something and you dont have to involve money to get a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Give more details and I will see if we can help you out as much as possible.

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Sandra - I've never done any building, but I do have my own hammer and screw drivers and wood glue. (and it will be good experience for me.)

Let me know when, and exactly where. I can do some weekend/s

AngieM2

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Check to see if there are any currently unemployed Mexican laborers in the area. Likely they will be willing to work at minimum wage and will put out about twice the work as any local natives. Hate to say it, but the qualify and effort of American unskilled labor today is the pits.

Ken Scharabok

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Darn - having built my own house I would love to help, as i love to build! But I live way over in Montana so I cannot get there. Good luck and have a great time!

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

You're too far from us but your post certainly has rejuvenated lots of good memories about past barn/house raisings.
    Take photos.

9. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I sure wish I lived closer. I'd love to help!

10. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

I'd like to say to Ken, Maybe you think your money is worth a little to much.