Anybody working on their 2005 New Years Resolution yet?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Dec 15, 2004.

1. I've been thinking about mine although much of it is carried over from the 2004 New Years and much of it was carried over from the 2003 which was carried over from 2002..........Well I think you get the picture. Anyway this past year and a half I haven't really gotten to do a whole lot around my little homestead. So once again I'm dreaming of what I want to achieve this next 2005 year. I'm hoping to have more time this next year to do things.

1. Gotta get that smokehouse built and find time to use it.

2. Raise pigs once again and do my own processing. Also buy a steer on the hoof and process it myself also.

3. Fence off a much bigger area for my goat business. I buy weaning aged boer goats in the early spring, feed them on brush only, and then sell them the fallowing fall season and receive double on what I paid for them.

4. Want to get back into the chicken/egg business. Although I'm going to have to eliminate a few neighborhood dogs and cats.

5. I want to harvest more from the garden, wild animals, wild fruits and nuts, mushrooms, fish, anything not from the grocery store. I'm convinced that at least half my food can be either raised, caught, or found during season.

I'll have to add more later when I can think a little better.

2. tramp

tramp Active Member

My last New Year's Resolution was..........to not make any more Resolutions. ;)

3. Bigfinn

Bigfinn Member

I've started my resolution to lose weight--I am so hungry right now!

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had a ritual that I do every year, been doing it for 7 or 8 years now. I sit with a notepad and I write about my goals for the next year. I have everything from previous years in front of me, so I can really immerse myself in the dreams/goals/successes/modifications/etc.. I've found this helps me by reflecting on all the things I hoped to accomplish and was actually able to see come to fruition. I also have a good laugh over how my needs and wants have changed!!

I spent 5 years in the planning stages, and I finally bought this place just over 2 years ago. I guess as far as a *resolution*, I would have to say that I will continue to strive to be more self-sufficient. I have plans to get a pond dug this year, my bee hive is assembled and painted, just waiting on the bees, I'll expand the garden a bit, egg sales will double, and I'll have wool to play with for the first time. Life is good..........

5. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

This coming year our family is in transition with graduations and moving. Resolutions are happening whether we make them or not. I think the main resolution I can make is to keep a sense of humor as we move and start setting up our new homestead. ;)

6. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I made this resolution last week. I intend to stay out of Wal-Mart for an entire year. I'm serious. I feel this will save my sanity and my money.

7. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I have never felt insane from going into walmart. I can understand why those of you do, that do! It has become too big. No place needs a store that big. I wish we were more like European countries, where everything is prettypiled up.....on top of everything else, and people usually lived in Apartments, and THEN there was the farming communities.
    I lived in Germany for four years, and liked having allthe shopping in one central place, not scattered all over. I think Americans have gotten so greedy for space it's pathetic. I live in Quincy, IL. and the town is sooooo scattered! I hate that I can't just take a stroll downtown and do all my shopping in the "shopping" district! We have a wonderful downtown area, but it has become the place of poor people, because all the newer subdivisions are out east of town, walmart is out there, Kmart, the mall, etc! Downtown gets the stupid dollar places, which are fine, because I shop them, but I'd like to soo some decent placestoo, no overpriced places, but decent. I want Copperfield and Co. Books back!

Nuff o' my rant!
    Michelle

8. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

My resolution is to find a literary agent during 2005.

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd call them resolutions exactly, but my plans include: losing some weight (of course!); going goatpacking in the Owyhee Mountains; building a berry cage and planting the berries in it; planting stuff to sell at the Farmer's Market; writing a book and hopefully selling several magazine articles; going back East for my middle daughter's wedding in August; and building a greenhouse (probably a simple hoophouse). That's the major stuff, anyway.

Kathleen

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

My/our resolution is to stick with the savings/debt reduction plan we started a month ago. It is incredible how much money we just fritter away! First, the credit cards, then the student loans, then save enough so we have a healthy cushion, and THEN we're off to live on that lovely little slice of heaven in WI.

So, I guess that means we'll just do the same old same old. :rolleyes: :haha:

11. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

Yup got some in mind:
    Lose a few pounds.Been holding at 250# for 6 months.

Get the fence line cleaned out around our 13 acres.

Get fence built Line fences built around our 13 acres?

Make a trip to Arizona, from Home in Indiana, to camp
    a long weekend with Friends & Kinsmen.

And I plan to make a "Boast" on these Four things,
    at our 12th Night Fire, on New years Eve, out on the Hill.
    That makes them much more binding, hunnh.

Have a good-un.

12. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Hey John--Please tell us more about the 12th night fire. It sounds intriguing.

My NY resolutions are to keep working on kindness and thoughtfulness to others; to accomplish more in the garden/nursery; to grow in the practice of Benedictine Spirituality. When I finally lose all my sight and hearing, I want something to do.

13. 12th night fire! I think a few communities around here have that activity marked on their calendars. If I remember write on the 12 th night after christmas all the people in a community throw their christmas trees in a big pile and set it on fire. Everyone stands around circleing the fire and watch it burn. They may even sing or praise the lord cause the ho-hum holidays are finally over with.

14. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

GET RID OF EXCESS STUFF!!!!!!!!!

and of course I will need it just as soon as it is gone. :rolleyes:

15. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I want to get debt down or gone, lose weight and simplify my schedule, my home, my life. I want to work as many hours as possible this next year and use the money to build our nest egg --so we can move to the farm...

16. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana: DH and I are seriously considering giving up the smokes...hope we dont kill each other or die from heart attack caused by the weight we will gain LOL

Resolutions for 2005: 1) continue my search for water on our land. somehow somewhere.
    2) get a pair of geese
    3) work on second greenhouse
    4) develop a closer relationship with my siblings (all 1200 miles away)
    5) do a better job of letting DH know how very much I love and appreciate him.

17. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi 3 Girls & Y'All,
    Ah, I've met many Benedictines. I use to be Catholic. And once spent
    a few years in the seminary.

Umm, Maybe not. See, I'm a Non-christian. In fact, I am an Oathed
    or Avowed Northern Heathen. I worship the Ancestral, Pre-christian
    Germanic Gods of Northern Europe. I am Folkish Asatru. That is the
    Ancestral Folkway I follow.And I have been doing this for
    the last 12 years. We Celebrate the 12 Nights of Yule, as our Ancestors
    did, before Christianity was brought to Northern Europe. We begin on
    Dec. 20, Solstice Eve and we go on for 12 Nights of Yule, culminating
    with our 12th Night Celebration, on New Years Eve.
    Part of this is the Burning of the Yule Wreath, handmade of evergreen
    boughs, in the shape of a Sunwheel, which hangs in the House, through
    the Season. Our Oaths and Boasts are made on the Yule Wreath, first.
    In some Families the Yule Tree, a real one is also a part of the
    12th Night Fire.

No, it is not the same thing as being "Pagan", not exactly.
    We have "Lore", written sources, that give us a pattern, to "Reconstruct"
    the practices of Our Ancestors. Neo-Pagans do a lot more innovation, and
    invention than we do. Many Neo-Pagans don't use Ancestral Pantheons
    at all. But, follow any Pantheon they "choose". Our Gods are the Germanic
    Ancestral Gods of Our Folk. I lead a Family and a Kindred. I resolve each
    year to be a better person, a more moral person.

I do NOT mean to hijack this thread. Or yet, to get into a philosophical
    battle. I simply meant to explain. This explanation rather belongs on a
    "Religious Forum".
    The 12 Nights of Yule, have been observed for many centuries by Our Folk.
    I follow an Ancestral Folkway called "Folkish Asatru".
    If you are interested do a web-search.

Have a Good Yule, Y'All.

18. WVGal

WVGal Member

19. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Well I knocked out two big ones that I've been trying for past 2 yrs.

Quit smoking (going on 5 mths now)
    quit drinking soda (so far so good working on 2nd week)

My resolutions for 2005

finish college (2 semesters to go)
    finish college
    hmmm did I say finish college.

Then I can do something productive with my life.

Like start my own farm. (Seriously, can't wait)