Anybody tried sheep driving yet?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Wendigo, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Wendigo

Wendigo New Member

I have been driving sheep for two years now. I haven't found many like me out there. I have met a girl who drove and rode her Romney ram that's about all I've found. I raise Columbia sheep the largest breed of sheep in the world. The rams stand over 4 foot tall from the shoulder. They are great for driving because they are very tame and easy to work with and there size is perfect one can male pull two adults. I train my sheep very young I start at two months old with the basics like back, stand, step up, gee, haw and woh. Does anyone want to know more about this? Let me know I'm happy to share what I've learned.

2. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Sure! post some pictures, too. We have a big ol' pet wether that might be good for something like this. The kids will ride a sheep now and again but it is more of a "Mutton Busting" thing than a pleasure ride. I only had one sheep that actually enjoyed being ridden. Of course that sheep didn't know she was a sheep, she thought she was one of us!

3. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting. I'd be interested in learning more.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If you need help posting pictures let me know. My responce time is a little more delayed now that I have a day job, running excavators, backhoes, and driving trucks etc. but I will get to it!

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

How cool! I've wondered about driving sheep. I mean, if a goat can do it, why not? I'm totally into the 'anything goats can do, sheep can do better' idea! :haha:

6. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

Yes, we'd like to hear more.
    How much can a sheep pull?
    Are they hard to train?
    Can the pull double?