Anybody tap Birch or Spruce?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Feb 17, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I"ve heard that tapping spruce or birch for the sap to make into syrup?

Has anyone here have experience doing this? Did you make it good ?

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

I would like to know about this too: isn't the sap bitter, then what, add sugar?

Alex

3. ak homesteader

ak homesteader Well-Known Member

Tapping Birch in Alaska is pretty common. I've not done it but there several business that make Birch products. I'll see if I can find any sites I'll post them later if I find them.

Alaska HOMESTEADING Journal

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

I've tapped Birch. It takes a lotalota sap to make syrup, about 40 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup.

My method is for certain homemade. I use a brace and bit to make my holes and use 6" sections of cheapo garden hose for taps and gallon plastic milk jugs for buckets, tied around the trunk of the tree with plastic bale twine.

The hard part comes in trying to reduce the sap. I usually do it in the house on the woodstove, but it gets to looking like a sauna in here. Remember that to make that gallon of syrup, 39 gallons of water is evaporated into the air!

If you are interested, check the archives for Birch syrup and you'll probably find my tale of trying to make it commercially here in Idaho and thinking I'd poisoned myself.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info bare. What's your favorite way to eat the final product?
    What I'm trying to get also is from people giving their opinion on the taste. Is it good? Do you use it like maple syrup once it's boiled down.

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Well on pancakes of course! We've used it whereever we would have used Maple syrup, on French toast, making sausage, various recipes calling for maple syrup. If it's not well hidden the kids'll swipe it to make birch candy in the winter. Just warm it up and find a patch of clean, un-yellow snow and pour it on, let it set a minute or two and pick it up.

It is a bit thinner than store-bought maple syrup, lighter in color and not quite as sweet.

It's hard to describe Birch syrup's taste, since it's all it's own but it is good and worth the effort.

If you want a refreshing draught, just refrigerate your sap and drink it like water. Slightly sweet and very refreshing. Sap doesn't keep very long, no more than a few days before going bad.

7. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Birch, yes. But I *don't* think you want to tap spruce trees! All you will get is pitch!

Kathleen

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My SIL made Spruce beer once. You harvest the new growth tips of the boughs. I don't know exactly how she made it but it was surprisingly good! You do boil the tips to extract the flavour and the alcohol comes from a comercial sugar. I think if she'd used the same dextrose powder I use for kit beers it would have been even better, as it was a tad sweet from the granular white sugar she used.