Anybody sell large items on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Aug 14, 2004.

1. Anybody sell large items on Ebay and if so how do you go about shipping the items? I have a few large items that I would like to sell but not sure how to go about sending the items to whoever wins the bid. I have a partial buffalo hide, a small 3 compartment sink, maybe a cub tractor, and a few more items laying around that I'm not using.

2. List it they will come!! LOL!! I sell large items all the time they pay freight or pick it up!!

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Your options are probably parcel post, UPS ground, FedEx ground or freight and commercial carrier.

Parcel post is up to 70 pounds, but has a package size restriction. Call your local Post Office for it or go to www.usps.com.

UPS ground goes up to 150 pounds, but has a package size restiction. Try www.usp.com.

FedEx ground is about like UPS, but they do have a freight option for large palleted items. Try www.fedex.com.

On commerical carrier usually the buyer makes all of the arrangements. You still have to make arrangements to have it loaded on their truck as they do not load themselves. In the past I have taken items to the local farmers' co-op and they used one of their forklifts to load the truck when it arrived there. The same place will also allow me to have large packages delivered there. For example, if it were me I could take the Cub Cadet and a pallet to the co-op, put it it on the pallet and strap it down.

Note eBay now allows you to included a shipping cost link in your auctions. You fill in the variables on the page for shipping information. However, when I use this I make it clear in the description it is just an estimate and not to pay immediately based on it. I will confirm the final packaged shipping cost to them.

On eBay, note on auctions there is now a function to report possible listing violations to eBay directly from the listing.

Also, if the seller approves, for items over $200 PayPal will bill them monthly. Don't really understand why the seller has to approve this as PayPal pays the seller immediately - they just time bill the buyer.

Ken Scharabok

4. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Just put "buyer responsible for shipping costs and arrangments" in your auction.

Know someone who sold some ore cars (800 lbs+) on Ebay and thats what they did, worked well for them.

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not sure you can sell the hide on ebay, check there rules. Unless the sink is somthing special I think I would skip on that one. The tractor is easy. pickup only or buyer handles all transportation cost.

6. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

You should be able to sell the hide. I have seen plenty of mounts for sale out there. As long as the hide isn't still attached to a live buffalo, you should be set!

7. Ken Scharabok

Yes, I also doubt the hide is from an animal on their endangered species list. On the sink, it will just cost you about $1.60 to see if anyone is interested if you start bidding at $9.99. I once listed one of those old fashion double compartment sinks with the drain board on both sides in a regional classified ad paper. Someone came from over 60 miles away to pick it up as they wanted it for a log cabin they were building.

Ken Scharabok

8. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't forget shipping via the bus - greyhound. They take big oversized heavy items and you can even ship them collect. Sent a big iron pot rack from Laredo Texas to Napa California for $38.00 collect. Took 2 days to get there.

9. Well the Bison hide is only a half of a hide that was left over from a shoulder mount done by a professional Taxidermist. Since he had the big peice of skin leftover he pickled/tanned it for a throw rug. The 3 compartment sink is really a 2 compartment sink with a 3rd small utensil compartment in the middle. Never seen one of these before so not sure just how much one would go. I had to replace it with a bigger 3 compartment sink which ran me about $800. The farmall tractor is mainly just a pile of jumk which for a good mechanic with lots of money can be fixed up. However in my opinion it would be better used for extra parts for another tractor like it.

As far as the tractor goes I'm thinking about whoever wins it they can make the arrangements to either come and get it or have it shipped to them. The sink and hide I think would be small enough to ship UPS or Fedex.

10. Ken Scharabok

Just for a toss out, can you add additional value to the buffalo throw rug by bleaching it white and listing it as perhaps, "Artifically Whitened Real Buffalo Hide Throw Rug"? If the buyer want to present it as a real white buffalo hide that is their call. If you do a search on buffalo hide about 50 listings come up.

Ken Scharabok

11. Ken I'll have to check into that. It might fetch an extra buck or two. Personally I would like to keep it but it is driving my wife crazy keeping it here in the house. People who visit are full of questions about it and think it is neat to have a bison hide on the floor. But my wife just can't stand it!