Anybody replace grain with bread?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

The goat dairy we just visited gets day-old bread from an outlet---super cheap, all types of bread. They feed it to their 240 goats and it has cut their grain bill in half. They claim that the reason their goats have such shiny coats is because they use superior grain in bread for human consumption. They are very experienced and their goats are all very healthy. They were actually featured in "Vermont Life" magazine a few years ago, and have a "Dairy of Distinction" award...
    Does anybody else do this? Or not? Please tell YOUR reasons why this would or would not be a good idea?
    Jillis!

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I use it when my girls are not being milked.....this time of year...but I try to get only whole grain type of bread...
    In the Spring I get some for kids as treats to make friendly....

When we did the calf on goats milk I fed him alot of bread.....he loved it and I could manage to move him if he knew I had bread.....

I'm not sure that it is superior to grain/hay but it doesn't hurt them....keep an eye on the poop....it'll clump when they are getting too much....

A truckload here is about $20....a grocery cart full which is what I buy is $5...at Nissen of MAine

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I might feed WHOLE GRAIN or WHOLE WHEAT bread to my does as a treat, but I would never make it a staple of their diet. Almost any bread you can buy at a store or commercial bakery will be full of things I wouldn't want to feed my does. Proccessed sugar, refined flour, bleached flour, preservatives....the list goes on. Those goats might look good for now and possibly a few generations down the road but I believe they might be setting themselves up for health problems down the road a ways if they continue to feed like that. Also little things might start popping up that no one relates to the diet.......but almost *everything* goes back to diet in the end. I wouldn't feed myself on storebought bread and I sure wouldn't my goats.

4. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

No, i would not make this a staple in my goats diet. Bread is carbs, unused carbs turn to fat and fat leads to heart disease, liver failure and if you want milk production it doesn't do much for that either. Does that are fed lots of carbs during pregnancy are more prone to ketosis and kidding problems and will also produce less kids because of being overweight. Just not someting that I would do..... :shrug:

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been feeding bread,buns or bagels (Not any cakes or doughnut.)for 7 years, only as a treat though.Like 4-5 loaves to 10 goats,Like stated above you start slow if they are getting too much thier poop will clump up.I buy a shopping cart full every week and I do feed some to the chickens also.

6. GAchickenguy

GAchickenguy KS boy stuck in GA

We have been feeding bread as a main staple to the goats here for years as have my mother in Law and father in law. It is cheap, depending on which bread store you go to you can get a truck load (when I say load I mean falling out of the truck if you turn to fast) for 15-20 dollars. We feed mainly just the plain white and wheat breads and buns but there is also some sweet breads and buns mixed in and we give those out a little less. During strawberry season here there is always tons of extra angel food cakes and those little round strawberry cakes and the goats go wild for them. My in laws have 30 does and 2 billies and feed something like 5 loaves of bread and a half of 5 gallon bucket of sweet feed twice a day and the rest of the day the goats are off in the woods eating and they have goats goin on 12 years old and I dont see anything wrong with there goats other than they maybe a touch on the fat side. My goats eat the same diet as theirs do and are also just fine,