Anybody own/use 'The Garden Claw'?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moopups, Apr 29, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    For those of you not familiar with such, its a 4 pronged tool for twisting into the soil to break it up and to soften. It features a waist high handle where you twist after placing it into the soil with foot pressure.

Good, bad, or ugly?

http://www.gardenclaw.com/

2. hassette

hassette Well-Known Member

I agree! It's great for working existing beds. I used to have one but I lost it in one of the many moves and I am trying to convince myself to spend the $25 to get a new one. Maybe with my leftover birthday money.......

The Garden Weasel, on the other hand, is a total waste of money!!

3. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

I have one too and it does a great job breaking up broken up soil...LOL. I have used it to break up small areas that have never or that I had never broken up. It didn't take long before I needed a rest.

We used mine this afternoon when breaking up a spot for peppers. I turned the dirt with a shovel and hubby used the garden claw to finish breaking it up. Does a great job really a good as a tiller I think. And you don't have to drag out the tiller.

Jan

4. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

The wife has one here, always seemed to be a tool for somebody looking for extra work to do. I prefer a garden hook to loosen soil that is already worked.

5. angelak

angelak Well-Known Member

I love mine. Loosens up the dirt so you can get the winter weeds out easy.

Angela

6. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I use mine for mixing compost, and removing weeds. Not all that useful for cultivating.

7. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I have one and the only thing I use it for is to stir up the soil in tight places where I donot want to disturb plants, like in the flowerbeds with perennials. Otherwise there are better tools for covering larger areas.

8. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I guess it depends on your soil, but the claw doesn't work well for me. In heavy clay, which we have here in abundance, the soil keeps getting stuck to the tines and has to be scraped off constantly. In lighter soil, a hand cultivator would work just as well. I recently got it out again to test it in a new garden bed at our new house, where the natural dirt is actually not bad. It worked okay, but the shovel worked just as well.

Too bad you can't take garden tools out for a test drive before purchasing them.

9. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

I can't say enough good things about mine. I would never get any gardening done without it, because we can't afford a roto-tiller. I have used it to prepare beds in the spring and finish them in the fall. Fantastic for quick weeding in larger spots that don't have flowers/veggies in them. Tighter spaces I use a child's garden hoe.

When the soil is hard, I always wet the area I'm trying to work and let the water soak in for about 15 minutes before I try turning. Works like a dream, and we have rocky, half clay-half good dirt in our yard.

Plus, it's a wonderful upper-body workout! :p