Anybody near the Ocala, Cedar Key area?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Oct 3, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Seeking info about the area.

2. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Check your old Hurricane postings- I recall at least 2 posters from that area.

3. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

I am in the Ocala National Forest.. message me and ask whatever you want to know.. If I dont know the answer, I will find out for you.

Donovan

4. Ed Tucker

Ed Tucker Member

Mitch,
    I just read your post. I live in Gainesville now but used to live in Levy County. Cedar Key is a sleepy fishing town about 50 miles form Gainesville. Use to you could buy property really cheap but now its really expensive. Nearest town is Chiefland, I was in Chiefland today getting my truck serviced at the dealer there. I really like it there. Property is still fairly reasonable. 5 acres runs around 30,000 dollars if you can find it. Dixie County to the north is a little more affordable but as usual there are no jobs. Most people that work commute to Gainesville.
    As far as Ocala goes I really don't like it there, too many people and too much traffic. The exception is the National Forest area. You can still find some land bargains out there if you look. Here is a web site of a realtor in Salt Springs-Mary Weeks realty.com or Weeks realty.com not sure which.
    If I can be of any help about info on Levy Co please pm and I will get back to you.

Ed

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Wow! Forgot I posted this question. Whats the name of the roads about 35 miles out of Cedar Key? I want to go to mapquest and look the area over. Any small towns in that area?

6. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

aster and barberville are just east of ocala on rt 40

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Looking for small towns between Cedar Key and Ocala only, whats out there?

8. flascrub

flascrub Member

moonpups, to the east of cedar key is a crossroad called otter creek,another few miles and you run into bronson all on state rd 24. southeast of bronson is williston then on to ocala. levy county is still quite rural and low in elevation west of 19 toward cedar key. one county up the coast is dixie, lightly populated and land at reasonable prices.dixie county towns are old town, cross city, horseshoe beach, and suwannee fl. horseshoe an suwannee are right on the gulf like cedar key but not trendy. i used to commercial fish this whole area, but like every where else the times they are a changing.

9. Ed Tucker

Ed Tucker Member

Mitch,
    I have been out of town for a few days and just read the post again. Otter Creek is a small community of people that have lived there all there lives. There are a few transplants but not many. The town has a post office and 1 or 2 stores. Real estate very seldoms comes up for sale because there is not much private land there. It is surrounded by paper company land. The land is very low and some property floods. Bronson to the east is the county seat of Levy County. Thats where the court house and the county jail is. Here is the name of 2 realtors in Bronson, Janney Realty and Blake Realty. Most of the people that live there are either retired or work in Gainesville which is about 25 miles northeast. The property to the east between Bronson and Williston is known as sand hill land. Sand and black jack oaks and pine trees. Does not flood. This property is still fairly reasonable but is going up all the time. Williston has become a bedroom community for Gainesville and Ocala. Property is sky high. A friend of mine just bought a small older house and 2 acres for 120,000. There is property for sale south of Williston but it to is going up also. Between Williston and Ocala are the large horse farms. Unless you are rich forget it. Can't think of the names of realtors in Williston off hand. But you should be able to find them if you do a search. Any thing else you need to know just ask.

Ed

10. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Moopups- back in 94 my scoutmasters niece moved herself and her husband to Bronson in an attempt to keep him off drugs (they had been living in Miami) he had just found God and dried out- Within a week he was shot dead- supposidly in self defense while attempting to hold up a convenience store with a gun- no gun was ever found and he was shot in the BACK...think twice about Bronson ..(PS he never commited an act of violence to get his drugs in Miami, only "whitecollar" crimes such as our dear Martha Stewart supposidly did)

11. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Look here for a list of county maps of Florida.

http://www.floridacountiesmap.com/counties_list.shtml

The counties you are interested in are Levy (where Cedar Key is), Marion (Ocala), Alachua (Gainesville), Gilchrist, Dixie, and maybe Bradford, Taylor, and Citrus.

As I'm sure you know there is no cheap land in Florida, just some that is not as expensive as other places. Since it's further away from Gainesville and Ocala and too far to commute to Tallahassee you may want to look north of Chiefland and into Dixie, maybe even Taylor counties.

There is a lot of available land between Ocala and Cedar Key but you'll need to scrutinize it closely. West of U.S. 19 it's a low country and much of it is prone to flooding, especially if there's a hurricane or tropical storm. East of U.S. 19 and the land rises in elevation to become the Florida Sand Ridge meaning it's poor in nutrients and quite droughty in any but the wettest years. I live on the sand ridge myself.

I found www.realtor.com to be the most helpful personally when I was looking for property. Nearly all of the area realtors list through it.

.....Alan.

12. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I live between Williston & Bronson, Fl.The highway running N & S nearest Cedar Key is #19/98. It goes thru Chiefland.The main road to C. Key is #24. Chiefland is a nice little town, raesonable land prices as stated above.Cedar Key has gotten so expensive for real estate, though. Saw an old house, there, close in & taxes were $1000/MONTH. Taxes on $40,000 place here, where i live is about $235/yr.Inexpensive living in this area, but low wages, too.