Anybody live in SD?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lannie, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

Hi, all -

I think my husband and I have finally found a buyer for our little ranchette here in Oregon and we're going to be moving to South Dakota, probably in the spring. We had found a place over there last fall that we really wanted, but our house didn't sell as quickly as we thought, so we ended up losing that one.

We're looking for a place with at least 20 acres and a liveable farmhouse, with at least a barn and a couple of outbuildings. We'll be "homesteading" there and will have a milk cow, a beef steer or two, pigs and chickens (maybe a couple of goats, as well). We already have three horses and a bunch of dogs and cats, so we need some room.

I thought I'd post this here just on the off chance that someone might live in that area and might know of a place like that for sale. We are on Social Security disability income only right now, so after we sink the profits from this place into the new one, the payments will have to be pretty reasonable. We really don't care where in the state we live, but would prefer the southern or western portion, anywhere as long as there's some room to grow a big garden and some animals and a house to live in.

Anybody have any great ideas for me? The internet is pretty much a bust, because the houses over there are sold mostly word-of-mouth, I gather.

Thanks bunches,
    Lannie

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

Sd is a very beautiful state but it gets rather cold there in winter. I'm curious why you want to move out of Oregon?? Are the property taxes there extremely high?? Oregon also, would appear to a beautiful place to homestead. My impression of Oregon is that the city\county folks are Overly controlling in that they want to know everything that you want to build on your property. Am I wrong???? Good luck with your move????? fordy......... :eek: :D

3. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

We moved to SD from VA and yes, it is colder here. I'll keep an eye out for something that might fit what you need. Sally Phillapeck (SP?) owns a small house in Spink County that she might sell but I don't know how much land comes with it though. You can contact her at the County Assessors office at (605) 472-2891. We were going to ask her ourselves after we pay off our current property. There is another property on highway 37 south of 212 that is for sell. If I see it again I will send more information. The local paper doesn't come out until Wednesday. Is there a maximum amount that you are willing to pay? I only ask because I wouldn't want to send information on property that is listed too high. You can also purchase land and put a modular on it. Also, property taxes are a lot cheaper here. My parents owned an old house in Portland and were paying $300/mo in taxes back in the 1980's. Also, check out these websites (I haven't looked at them myself yet though):
    www.century21advantageii.com, www.cendak.com, and www.watertownsdhomes.com. You can also try remax-hoftiezer.com. If I see anything else I'll post again.

4. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

Uyk7, THANK you! We want to stay below about $100,000. That would be our upper limit, and of course we'd like to have something less expensive. There was a house near Yankton a few months back that had 29 acres of pasture, a 5 acre garden plot, an indoor arena, barn and 3 other outbuildings, plus a two story OLD farmhouse that was listed for $58,000. THAT would be perfect for us. I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure it's probably been sold by now. As soon as we have the offer in hand, we'll call and make sure, just in case it's still available.

Fordy - I spent quite a bit of time answering your question of WHY we want to leave here and the site logged me off and deleted my message. AUGH! I guess it's not my day to rant! LOL! Basically, yes, the property taxes are very high, the cost of living is high, there are no jobs, the land is not good for growing things (at least here in Central Oregon) and the water rights are ridiculously expensive. Oregon is very pretty, but you should just look at the pictures, don't ever move here. I can't wait to get out, and this is my home state. I won't even get started on the politics of the People's Republik of Portland (who runs the whole state because 3/4 of the entire population of Oregon lives there).

I've been watching the weather in Winner (my 91-year old great aunt lives there), and it parallels our weather pretty well. The difference being we're a thousand feet higher in elevation here and the growing season is only June 1 through August 31. That's the only time you can be relatively certain of above-freezing temps at night. We get very cold winter weather here, too, because we're on the high desert, and as such we also get screaming wind chill. We don't get as much snow as SD because this is an arid desert, but it's just as cold. When people think of Oregon, they mostly think of the Willamette Valley and the surrounding forests, which are a lot warmer and more mild than our weather here. But that's just a small portion of the state. Can't live over there, though, because the costs are even higher. I don't know how Mother Clucker and Little Quacker feel, but I've had it with this state and I want out.

Well, thanks for listening to my semi-rant! Trust me, you'll be glad my first post was deleted! LOL!

~Lannie

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........Lannie , thanks for (both) posts. I, too, have had my composition(s) summarily deleted by that Nazi computer that is currently in residence. :waa: :eek:
    ............Anyway, I'm looking for a New State to reside in and Sd is starting to look better all the time. It will probably take me most of this year to resolve some legal matters, get this place "ON the market" and find a buyer. I have to sell Here Before i can move too a new Homestead. Anyway, I think I can learn to deal with the Cold weather . I have considered East texas, N.Mexico, Colorado , Utah, Montana , Wyoming, etc.
    .............Just a note on Property Taxes in Texas....they are High and going higher. We, also, have the second highest Sales tax right behind Massachusetts. 8.25% not counting all the special add ons like the DFW area has on car rentals, Hotels, etc. The add ons help PAY for The Texas Rangers Basebasll stadium, and in about 4 years the Dallass Cowboys are\will initiate a new Football stadium and hotel and WHO knows what else. Jerry Jones needs another Billion for his OLD Age pension I guess.
    .............I have proposed that WE, the tax Payers should Change the Name of Our State to TAXES.....instead of Texas. It uses the same letters and is MORE reflective of the Truth..............fordy........ :eek: :waa: :D :no: :worship: :worship:

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Welcome to SD! Lived here all my life and don't plan on moving.

It gets cold, hot, windy and beautiful; everything but hurricanes--never boring. Today was almost mid 30's, my chickens think it is almost summer after last week's teens.

Now, for your question. I live in the eastern-central part, almost into Minnesota. We bought our 20 acres at an auction for less than a new vehicle. There are a couple of auctioneers/realtors in the area that could help you. We sold our house in town finally after getting rid of the "big realtor" and worked with Bill Landsman (auctioneer/realtor). He did a great job for our little house. He mentioned that he's been getting land for out-of-state families. I will PM you his phone number. If you are interested in a different area, he might be able to direct you.

7. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Well, I'm West River South Dakota but probably not what you ae looking for. I live in ranch country and East River gets all the rain. There are lots of homesteads that sit empty but are never advertised. You are right it is mostly word of mouth- or auction. Try advertising in the papers for what you want - you never know what might pop up that away. I can't stress enough to have the water checked before you buy. Not just for nitrates and bacteria but if West River alkaline. In some ares of East River the hook-up for rural water lines require you to own at least 40 acres. Ask about hook-up. Some realtors fail to mention it. If West river ask if avalible - we are just getting the sign ups now in our area and will be twice as much to hook later on.

8. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the phone number, JAS!

And Barb, thanks for all the tips. I've made notes of all you said so I'll remember to ask! :) The water should be OK if we end up near Winner. They have city wells that supply all the surrounding area and they are tested every few months. It's a metered water supply, but it's SO much cheaper than what we pay here for the same thing. Even the electricity is only HALF as much per KW hour as we pay here. (The city of Winner has a great, informative website that's designed and maintained by the high school students!) I'd like to get a line on some of those abandoned homesteads, as well. Sounds like they might be fairly cheap, and even if the "house" is falling down, we might still be able to put a manufactured home on it...

Fordy, you're on the right track with your choice of states, except I think Colorado will be too expensive. I've checked all over that state and it seems to be priced like California. Idaho might be a good place, but it's starting to get too big for its britches, too. Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas... all good as far as reasonably priced land. Just don't come to Oregon. You think Texas is bad...

Well, I'm going to go check out some of those websites uyk7 posted. Wish me luck!

~Lannie

9. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Lannie, Don't dismiss the "Big City " realtors. We got our place thru Bismarck realtor. Pierre wasn't much help to us but you want less land so give them a try.Be persistant or they won't take you seriously. They get too many out state lookers. Unless you tell them you want hunting land - them they'll fall all over you. Hunters pay the big bucks.

10. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

We've found that the farther away you are from a university town, the cheaper the acreages. Best of luck to you!