Anybody live in a chicken house?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jared, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Jared

Jared Active Member

I can get chicken house trusses pretty cheap, around 45 dollars a set (a set is two halves). Only problem is, they're 7 feet walls at the most. I was thinking of a concrete slab with two courses of blocks and then the trusses. Anybody see problems with this? I know the blocks would draw moisture, but I don't know how to prevent that.
    Jared

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What design are the trusses? Triangles, arched, ect. How wide would the building be? Are these available local to you only?

3. Jared

Jared Active Member

Triangle would be my best description. Like a steel buiding. When I called, I think I remember the guy saying he had 32 and 40 foot lengths. And they're available locally like crazy. More so than pine trees or stone. I'm in Northwest Arkansas/Northeast Oklahoma where chicken houses are everywhere. They're always upgrading, tearing down and folks just quit farming and get rid of them to clear their land.
    Jared

4. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Trusses from an old or used chicken house or new trusses?
    If from an old or used chicken houses best to check out the health/disease potential from old truses and/or chickens, i.e., dust , manure and etc.

5. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

All the chicken house trusses I have seen are one piece. They span from one side of the chicken house to the other. I sorta remember that there were posts every so often down through the houses, 15 or 20 feet maybe a third of the way between the span. Which makes me think they need load bearing walls or a support system such as that. Basically they are your rafters to set on your walls, whatever their height is. They would work for 8 foot or 10 foot walls or whatever. If you are planning to set your walls on block you need to put the foam plate gasket under your plates to seal and keep your plate off the concrete.