Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
First impression, of course, is a lid from a 55 gal drum-- but two problems with that-- the ratio of pour hole diameter to total diameter is too big, and looking closely at the rim-- the cover seems to fit inside the rim of the outer rim, not over-lapping it like a regular barrel.

Some sort of a cover on a pipe, like a well?

Judging by the blades of grass, it's only about a foot across.

·
Registered
22,694 Posts
I'd try to remove the plug and then let my nose tell me whether or not to investigate further.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
First impression, of course, is a lid from a 55 gal drum-- but two problems with that-- the ratio of pour hole diameter to total diameter is too big, and looking closely at the rim-- the cover seems to fit inside the rim of the outer rim, not over-lapping it like a regular barrel.

Some sort of a cover on a pipe, like a well?

Judging by the blades of grass, it's only about a foot across.
If it is concrete, it looks like something that's in my yard, except Starrynight's thing is round, and mine is rectangular. It is a rectangular concrete box in the ground, it is 2 feet deep, has a dirt floor and it used to have a thin concrete lid on it that could be easily lifted off. There is a faucet coming up out of the dirt at the bottom of the box for connecting a hose to and the box is big enough it will hold a 75 feet length of coiled hose. The lid had a hole in it that was big enough to pass the hose up through it. The concrete lid was brittle and worn so it was removed and replaced with a steel plate with handles for lifting and a hole in it to pass the hose up through.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts