Homesteading Forum banner

Anybody know what this is?

743 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  muleskinner2 
#1 ·
I found it in the dirt in my yard. The area used to be farm land; so it probably is related to farm equipment, but I have never seen such a thing.

It's heavily rusted iron.

The hole through the middle is slightly tapered.

Finger Cuisine Wood Artifact Gesture

Hand Eye Jaw Finger Gesture

Hand Finger Wood Thumb Nail

See less See more
Reactions: RJ2019
#5 · (Edited)
Some chain link fence parts for the angled support wires at the corners used to look similar. The one in the picture is a modern one where the cap is on the end of the horizontal brace rail and the tension rod is attached to it. Some used to have the loop on the side for attaching the brace wire or rod when the cap was on top of a corner or line post as well as the horizontal brace post. The truss rod is what I am trying to refer to and it attaches to the half moon in the cap. The brace band goes through the loop on the cap and around the post to hold the assembly to the post.

#6 ·
Thanks everybody.

I think that the folks who said it is the end fitting (cap) for a singletree appear to be correct.

Reactions: muleskinner2
#9 ·
Yep. It has never seen any galvanizing . . . and it is so old that it was probably made in the US. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.