Anybody know what it cost to have a small parking lot paved?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Nov 4, 2005.

1. I think my FIL got taken, but not sure. Some contractor come to his house and said they were paving a local church parking lot and had some leftover and was looking for someone to buy it and they would lay it down. I'm not sure what they quoted the price at but my FIL said it sounded very reasonable so he said he would buy it. Well they laid out about a 15' X 15' pad and charged him $3200. for it. My FIL is about to have nervous breakdown as he is retired and on a fixed income. We have contacted the county sheriff and they said they would look into it. Having not ever boughten pavment before I have no ideal as to what would be a fair price.

2. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

He may or may not have been taken but it sure sounds high to me, especially if its thin and of poor make-up. Sounds like a fly-by-night outfit. They come through town, do several jobs, and are gone before problems arise with no way for them to be contacted. That's why it is usualy best to do business with a licensed contractor.

I don't know where you live, but here in Maine we have a law which say's they cannot come to your door (initiate contact) and do the work the same day. They have to wait three days unless they advise you of this and you tell them to go ahead anyway.

The local sheriff's deputy may not be up to snuff regarding illegal pavers. If you don't get satisfaction from them you might try contacting the Attorney General's office in your state.

3. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Yes. He got screwed. Buyer beware.

Asphalt goes for between $1 and $2 a square foot, depending on the thickness and the type of asphalt. The stonger asphalt is actually cheaper, but doesn't leave as nice a finish when installed.

That make that pad worth $500 max.

Pete

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

What occurred to your FIL is a common scam. It is second only to the metal roof painting that happens around where I live.

5. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

Sorry, he was taken for one of the more common scams. My Grandfather fell for it too. They seem to target the older folks because they know they keep cash around the house. Concrete is much better and a 15x15 slab works out like this 15x15x.334=75.15cf/27cf/yard=2.78 cubic yards of concrete x $75 per yard =208.75 for the concrete material. figuring labor, placing and finishing a reputable concrete price would have been 500-750.

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Yup, that happened in my old neighborhood in MA. The guys were arrested that day. I don't remember the details. MA is a super regulated state. Will depend a lot on what is required to be a contractor. They ripped off three old people on the same day.

Basically one old boy jumped bail and ran off to WA state, you got him and brought him back, he got three years in jail. People had to go to court and testify what happen, they got their money back. MA monitors contractors super close.

It is an old scam. The best fellows are called "Travelers", (bit like gypsies), based out of the Carolinas but will work their scams all over the country. Hard to catch them boys. They also do painting electric meter boxes green to prevent lightning damage.

You can talk to the cops. Lots is probably going to depend if he got hit by a stupid local like the one in Boston or by the real pros. Yup that price is well over the top. He probably got taken by some of the best. :help:

Bet he got no paperwork, don't even know a name or could really ID them. Never deal with anyone you can't verify who they are. Always need a business card, quote and your typical way of contracting for work. Good deals just don't typically drive up to your house.

7. FLhomesteader

FLhomesteader Who's got my BANANAS?

my inlaws had that happen but thier case it was not a scam.( I thought it was at first I was really P/O) A guy and his crew were driving by with a dump truck saying that they had left overs. Well for a 4 car parking space ( cant remember how big excaly) and the walk way up to the house it was big and it was about that price. your FIL did get scamed by a fly by night persay because there are legitiment reasons a pavement company would do that. once the asphalt is cool down its junk then need to get rid of it. So I would check in to what is the going rate around your town with other contractors and see if he got screwed on price. ( and it sounds like he did) but we had to call around and find out and we found that my FIL got a vary good deal! now the guy who did the job comes over to seal it every year ( 1st two years were free!) and if they ever have any porblems then they come out as well.

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

It's a good scam, for sure! Thanks for posting about it... I didn't realize this was common.

I know the people who bought our last house recently paid $10,000 for a concrete driveway to be put in, but it's a really long driveway with a circle drive in front of the house. Plus they had it extended out to the back of the property to another building. Made of money, those people! LOL

9. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably the "Irish Travelers". Group of folks, based mainly out of the Carolinas, that travel the country during the year pulling scams just like this. Well documented bunch of con artisits......and they move on quick, so the odds of getting your money back are nil.

Paving around here is about a buck a square foot, little more for a small job like that ( overhead of moving the equipment and all ), but probably 500 buck job max.

10. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Ha.....buddy of mine just had a 1400' driveway done with some turnouts to other buildings.....55,000 !

11. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

I've seen some here quote concrete prices, and some quote asphalt prices. Concrete is MUCH more expensive than asphalt. A 15'X15' area in concrete would require about 2.5 yards of concrete. Forming, finishing, and materials would be just a few hundred, NOT thousands!

This IS a scam! I've seen the 'travelers' lay down OILED SAND (CHEAP!) and claim it was asphalt. Some merely spray a black asphalt material over existing soil, making it look good, but which actually costs far, far less than oiled sand.

Chase those aholes down and MAKE the local law take action. Go to the local media and bring some pressure to bear. These are conmen, nothing more; nothing less.

12. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

This is a scam that has been around for a lengthy period of time. Don't look for the blacktop to hold up very well either, as it will probably deteriorate quickly.

NEVER......repeat.....NEVER do any business with people that show up, unsolicited, at your doorstep.

Last week, a couple of young (20 somethings) showed up at my house with a song & dance story about their truck being overloaded with sirloin steaks, and they were willing to sell them for $.20 on the dollar, rather than transport them back to there freezer depot 150 miles away. I could purchase $10.00 sirloin steaks for only $2. I told them to leave immediately before I call the police.
    My only regret is NOT calling the police immediately.

13. Well I talked to my FIL at church yesterday and he said they have contacted the outfit about the situation and that they are suppose to come back on tuesday and bring half his money back. Yep, we'll see how that turns out! Anyway he said there were several more people that got the hook also and there are several complaints on the sherrifs desk.

I'll be surprized if he ever sees any of his money back. Stuff like this is one reason why I wished they would sell their place and put a nice mobile home right here on my property next to my house. So we could watch out for them. But they won't live out here cause it is too far from town. They live only a couple miles outside of town while we live 25 miles away. If they need to go to town or the doctor we would be happy to chaffear them around.

14. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

One of the well known contractor scams. The previously mentioned traveler scum or various gypsy groups seem to be experts on this and other things which are even worse. I've tried to help some folks who have been taken by these dirtbags and there is a whole weird subculture especially with the travelers that is quite bizarre.

I know of case where one of the travelers pulled a roof scam on an elderly lady and charged her 4000 dollars for absolutely nothing. They got up on the roof and walked around. That was it. They told her it was a free inspection then convinced her that they had done 4000 worth of work and if she didn't pay they would take her house for not paying the bill. As she was hysterical and in tears one of the scum distracted to her while the others ransacked her upstairs and made off with her wedding rings and other valuables including the purple heart and silver star of her deceased husband. Vile scum.

If it were up to me we'd hunt down every last one of these worthless thieving scum and hang them from the highest tree or lamppost. If no one can remember how to tie a noose I would be more than happy to teach a refresher course free of charge. Hell, I'd even donate all of the needed rope.

15. RedneckPete

Why do you care????

Anyone stupid enough to do buisness with this type of outfit should take any money they have left and donate it to charity. They are a danger to themselves as long as they have it.

Pete

16. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Why do I care?

1. Because they are criminals.

2. Because they are criminals and thieves who deliberately prey on the elderly and will go so far as to intimidate them physically to get money out of them. They are the lowest of the low. Utter scum. I have no use for thieves. Absolutely none.

17. RedneckPete

Do you really get that worked up about every criminal?

I only get worked up about the ones that affect me. The law can take care of the rest. If I wanted to spend my life enforcing the law I would have become a cop or a DA.

Pete