Anybody know how to make concrete floor smooth again?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., May 18, 2004.

1. In the old store building that I am currently buying to put my new business in has a cement floor in it. Some of it is kind of rough and crumbly and needs repair work. I was wanting to pour epoxy flooring on it but my budget isn't going to let me do that just yet. So I'm thinking of just painting the floor till my business is up and going good. So, anyone have any suggestion on repairing? Is there a concrete sealer that will smoothen out the rough spots?

Thanks very much for your replies! Very much appreciated. RH. in Okla.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

first lets assume the floor has been neglected for a while, sweep it then mop it then check the bad section. after that you can take and use what we refer to as bucket run paint. get a good grade of enamal paint i get mixed matched paint and over runs cheap then mixe them into a 5 gal bucket only use half out of each can when mixing that way you can custom color the second bucket if needed ,also the mixed type paint is cheaper in some areas just think thats what a lot of stores donate to habitat for humanity. or you can mix in about a quart of water seal per 5 gallons. pour it on in a small area then work it out with you long handled roller. let dry if results look good do a second piece of floor.

3. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

4. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

This is sold at Lowe's and Home Depot for about $20 a bag....

http://www.quikrete.com/catalog/ConcreteResurfacer.html

Hope it helps
    Ed

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

ive seen that done on some really messed up concrete. I watched them custom mix concrete with no agrigate, it had the consistancy of pea soup,they poured it on, it leveled itself and set up like glass.

I have no idea how they mixed it, sorry.

6. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

theres a product called rock crete (i think) that is sold in small tubs that you mix with water. i use to see them use it alot a the big postal facilities. it was very easy to apply and very durable. they used it for cracks mostly but also seen them use it on spots about 5 foot square that was eroded sort of like what salt will do to it. may not be practicle for a whole floor but for several patches it might just work fine.

7. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

use what we refer to as bucket run paint. get a good grade of enamal paint i get mixed matched paint and over runs cheap

James Dilley where do you get this sort of thing?

Paint factory? Paint Stores?

8. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

If you were to use quick crete, or other cement products to patch it, it needs to be at least so thick, I am not sure how thick is good, but if its less then an inch, I am sure it will crack and break and come out. Painting would probably be the best way, if its really bad some places you could try the concrete.

9. thanks everyone. I think I've got some good ideals through your replies. I just hope its not too expensive since I'm trying to go as cheap as I can.