·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody in Texas raising fish in tanks

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My Ex-DH's parents raised catfish in their tanks. They live just outside of Franklin. It was sure fun fishing for those 20 pounders!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, we have gold fish in our small water trough : )
There are several catfish farms west of San Antonio and there's even a shrimp farm southwest of San Antonio.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Only in the interest of good understanding, I will mention that a lot of Texas country folks think of small, dug stock ponds as Tanks. I know Brazoria county well and am impressed by all the salt water fish, etc. being raised to the South of your area.. Glen

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
I'm planning to get a tank dug, and want to stock it, but have to figure out how to keep the stocked fish from disappearing downstream if the water level rises too high. I need the banks low enough to catch runoff.

·
Banned
2,134 Posts
TEXKAT said:
Well, we have gold fish in our small water trough : )
There are several catfish farms west of San Antonio and there's even a shrimp farm southwest of San Antonio.

No kidding? Where at? I live in SA and didn't know this...Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bass, Perch and Catfish. The water used to be clear enough to see the fish but now the cattle and rains have it all murky.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,811 Posts
There's a catfish farm and crawfish farms north of El Campo.

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,512 Posts
we just finished digging our first pond/tank.

right now, we just have 6 doz minnows in it. but in 2 weeks we will have 200 catfish fingerling's in it!! whoo hooo!!

we will be raising them for our own use, not for selling etc.. but I sure cant wait to get fishing!

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
.....................They are raising shrimp in large open air ponds around pecos , tx I believe . Lots of oil\gas wells produce salt water so the ocean is always under our homesteads at some depth . , fordy

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's in Imperial Texas that they raise the shrimp. It's on my way to Odessa and I always try to catch the shrimp store open. Huge shrimp! I'm definately thinking about doing something like that on a small scale at my place. My understanding is that they are using the brackish water from the oilfield(after all the lousy saltwater injection wells from the oilfield....any water from the ground here is brackish) to raise them in.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am looking to raise talipia in plastic tanks. With me being on the gulf coast it is cheaper to catch them wild then to raise. But grilled talipia rice ear corn mix vegs makes a great meal.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
There is a group on Yahoo called Barrelponics. Go to Yahoo and search for groups. I don't have a link for it right off. They grow talipia, in tanks then pump some of the water into another tank and it empties into a grow bed for vegetables.

Saw one in person, DD and I are thinking about setting one up here.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We have land on the Red River in Lamar County and last summer a man dug 2 large pools to raise catfish in near our land. Since there was no rain last year they didn't get filled up until this year when we had inches everyday for 2 months. I don't know if he has fish yet or not, but he probably does. Are talipia fresh or salt water fish?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what i read talipia can do salt and fresh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts