Anybody here have Pergo flooring?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by EricG, Jan 5, 2005.

1. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

We need to replace some old carpet. Thinking about some Pergo. Do you like it? How well does it hold up? This will be a high use area. Anybody using other brands of laminate?

Thanks.

EricG

2. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

My husband has put down a lot of Pergo in his handyman business and it seems to be pretty good as far as holding up for the folks. I would love tohave it in our living room/den area but haven't been able to afford it yet....

Make sure it is installed properly or it won't hold up as well. I think most of it has some sort of guarantee as well.

3. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

my dad put it in about 6 months ago and it is holding up! they are rough on it too

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Wouldn't do it again . Real hardwood is about the same price and easier to work with. Check the price of the trim pieces and it wil scare you.

mikell

5. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

I put in Mowhawk laminate, and I do NOT like it. It has dented, scratched, the joints have come apart it two places so the "board" slides back and forth. And it seems to have cupped. When we first put it down it was smooth and looked great, but now (maybe from humidity?) you can see ridges where every board meets. I don't know if we got a bad batch, or if we are much harder on the floor than Mohawk thought people could be (4 kids, dog) but I am very dissatisfied.

I would go to someones house who has laminate flooring and see for yourself how it is holding up. Pergo might be totally different, but I went with Mowhawk because it was name brand too.

Oh, I will say that I had a rather large coal from the fire place land on the floor last winter, and it did not damage it (go figure)

Carla

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We looked at Pergo and decided against it as well... its big selling point is that it can be installed by the homeowner (we'll assume this is true) with more ease than solid wood flooring (this may not be entirely true if you're accustomed to working with wood in the first place).

The Pergo people point out that their floor doesn't need to be "maintained" like a wood floor, but this isn't entirely accurate if you have... ta dum..

Dogs.

And we do. The dogs do scratch a wood floor as well, but I can keep sanding it down if it bothers me. If it doesn't, it adds "character" to the floor. Scratches do not add character to a Pergo floor.

The other thing that killed this for us was the "slide factor." A wet Pergo floor is flat out slick... 4 paws and unable to stand up slick. So the Pergo was out. And scratched wood floors are in.

7. jingle5616

jingle5616 Well-Known Member

I have installed lamanate- Pergo like flooring in just about every rental unit I own. The first floors were Mohawk brand ($1.99 sq ft) over five years ago and it is doing wonderful. That house has 3 kids and two dogs. It doesn't scratch, but I will agree that dogs will slip on it. Whenever we need to replace carpet, we are putting laminate floor in. It is down to .78 cents a square foot at Lumber Liquidators. We don't install in kitchens or bathrooms, nor near entrances (moisture). If installed correctly it lasts quite well and the tenants really like it as dust is a major problem here and carpet just traps it.... What I don't like about it is how is sounds.......tap tap tap......

Jingle

8. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

We have laminate flooring in our kitchen. It is made by Bruce (they also make hardwood flooring). We absolutely LOVE it. It is 15 inch tiles that looks like slate. Yes, the trim pieces were expensive, but we are way too hard on vinyl and hardwood to warrant putting either of those in our kitchen. I have dropped a huge cast iron skillet on the laminate and it didn't dent. We have no scratches, no cupping, no troubles at all. My husband put it in and said it was very easy to do.

It has been down for over five years and still looks brand new.

Just remember, it is not to be used in an area with much humidity (like a bathroom with a shower).

9. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

we put pergo in our fireplace room when we moved in over 5 years ago and it has held up well with a LOT of traffic. I'd recommend it.

10. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I installed some several years ago and just replaced it. I put it in the kitchen. I tried to follow the directions explicitly. I did it alone. It looked great. UNTIL I got a slow leak in the supply line to the dishwasher from under the sink. The drip went down the pipe, under the sink cabinet and then under the pergo. It was not visible under the sink, but it buckled the pergo. I called the company. They told me it must be my fault for an faulty installation. The directions warn about water and instruct to completely seal the edges to prevent water from getting under the product. Since the water got under, it was my fault. Some customer service.

I fixed the leak, and let the pergo dry out. The buckle subsided. It was still noticable if you knew where to look, but we left it there for several years. It is very difficult to patch damaged pergo. Since it is tongue and groove and only secured along the edges (it floats), it is like a single floating piece when completed. If you cut out a section it is hard to attach it seamlessly.

Since I used it in the kitchen, it got a lot of traffic. It did show a little traffic wear from the refrigerator door along the sink (where it leaked) and to the stove.

While it is a beautiful product and just a little easier to use than real wood, I advise against using it in high traffic areas and kitchens or bathrooms. Even in the kitchen and considering the leak and buckling, it performed better than vinyl. I would not put real wood in the kitchen or bathroom either. Any wooden flooring will buckle if it gets wet. None is easy to repair seamlessly.

I did use bamboo flooring in one of my bathrooms. I like it so much that I considered putting it throughout the entire house. It is nearly waterproof, comes cut just like hardwood flooring, and it is beautiful. It's just too expensive to do a whole house. I ended up putting porcelain tile from the front door through the kitchen to the back door. The only thing I don't like is that it is cold to bare feet. Bamboo is warm.

11. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

We have both hard wood and pergo throughout our house and I am happy with both. The pergo has held up great with the kids ( 9 of them) and the animals. It is easy to clean and looks great with just daily touch ups.

12. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

I have used Pergo and other brands of laminate flooring in the last 3 houses I have owned. I love it and cannot say enough good about it.

A poster above mentioned it couldn't take water. It cannot but than neither can most other flooring. No company that I am aware of will consider replacing any flooring ruined by a water leak. And I don't see why they would. One secret about laminates is that you don't have to use their expensive underlayments and trims. Use regular roll plastic at about one tenth the cost for the exact same item instead of their vapor barriers. And buy common mouldings.

If you get a water leak and the floor buckles, put some weight on it and let it dry totally. This could take a few weeks. It often goes back into place.

I will use it again.

13. Arisshill

Arisshill Member

I installed Pergo laminated flooring 8 years ago in the living room and front entrance of the house. Still looks great after all that time, two adults, a cat, a dog and now a young child.

The only downside (which has been mentioned, is the water compatibility). One night I left a pair of snow covered boots on the Pergo (not the floor mat as I should have) and it raised the joint up between two pieces of the flooring. It dried out and shrunk back down(I can still see it, but others have to look).

The only suggestion aftering putting several of these floors down, is that the newer snap lock floors are a breeze. Glued floors may be more resilient in the long run, but require more work cleaning up the glue haze left on the floor after installation.

14. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

We installed Armstrong Swift-Lock laminate last March and I absolutely love it. We have it in the Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen and hallway. It was easy to install and despite dogs, kids and clumsy me dropping things on it, it won't scratch. It is a breeze to clean (run a dust mop over it and just Swiffer it every couple of weeks) One warning though, dont spend the $$ on the matching trim pieces, use the regular wood moldings at Lowes and stain them to match, it looks just as good and costs a whole lot less. Oh, and your house will be alot less dusty when you get rid of the old carpeting-I couldn't believe the amount of dust our old wall-to-wall carpet had under it!!

15. buellkat

buellkat Active Member

We have installed Pergo flooring. It was "FREE" so no expense to us. As mentioned before The Trim pieces and parts are very pricey. Also "FREE" for us.

We installed the "hardwood" look over cement, with plastic/insulation underneath a yr. ago and it has had lots of use. It is slippery for the dog, like an ice skating rink.

We installed the "ceramic tile" look in Kitchen. Very high traffic and dropped items and such, has held up very well also.

Installation was very simple, tongue-n-groove. Pergo suggests glue, they have their own of course, we did not use glue. Pergo does make a tool for hitting the boards together, snug fit. I highly recommend it! Install one at a time, figure your pattern of how you want to start, wall to wall, where you will have to cut, etc. Ensure each piece is SNUG to each other, when done correctly, the "seam" is barely visible, and that is usually only to the "installer". 'An Artist is their worst critic'

If you then want to secure it further, use an air-hammer, trim type works, and place a few nails in the corners. NOTE: Pergo flooring can be installed over old linoleum, etc.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Do not have any fiduciary from sales of Pergo :haha:

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You are a homesteader....right? Why would a homesteader desire natural whole foods but consider buying plastic, fake flooring?