Anybody here have a teardrop?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TexasArtist, Oct 17, 2006.

1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

2. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

3. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Don't remember the name of the company, but at our state fair this year, there was a company selling teardrops. Pretty cool!

4. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

no bathroom-have to get up 2 or 3 times a nite-have to crawl outside-no thanks-nancy

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

My cousin and husband had a "Teardrop" trailer built for them last year. The company had a web site and posted updated photos frequently so that you could see your (their) unit being built. I followed the process closely in case I decided to build my own. My cousin provided the proper url for me to do so.

This is the web site for the company that built theirs. http://www.digisys.net/edevold/

6. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

ANOTHER project on the list! We're gonna be busy until we're 104. :)

7. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

I really like teapdrops, but I wouldn't think of using one as a temporary home while on the road. Unless you are quite unusual, I think you will find the severely confined space and lack of a bathroom will get old really quickly.

8. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

We thought this was so cute when we saw it in the trailer lot. So we stopped and after hearing the price, were totally shocked!

9. TexasArtist

Well let's look at the options. A tent or an over priced hotel room where thousands of people have slept before and who knows what fungus they are carrying. Lets not forget some people have died there as well. No thanks! As for the bathroom, if you staying at a campground then they have them there and is your out in nature find a bush a go. What's wrong with folks now a days. :shrug:

10. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I would love to have one. We tent camp sometime, also have a popup camper, but it is a pain to put up and take down especially for two old people with bad backs. What you would do with a teardrop is set a canapy over it. Then Wal Mart sells a privicy shelter that is 3'x3' you could put a porti-pot in. We have one that we use when we go camping.

http://www.azteardrops.com/gallery.htm

Here is a neet link to some rigs.

11. TexasArtist

You can build one yourself for wel less then half the price of what some of these companies are wanting.. Here's a nice link of a gathering that took place and some guy took tons of photos of all the different ones.

http://www.samstoybox.com/teardrop/itg2005/

12. TexasArtist

Sorry westwood........don't ever say I didn't give you anything to do :)

13. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife used to work in a restaurant in a major hotel chain-0 one of the nice ones. You do NOT want to know what things some of the guests complained about finding on the bed spreads which are only changed every few weeks.

If I ever stay in a motel agian Im taking my own sheets and covers- and pillows.

14. TexasArtist

Oh I know what your talking about there. I myself used to work in a motel so that's why I refuse to stay at them. It's down right nasty! :help: I figure with one of these little teardrops I could travel a little more when it's cold out. Right now I just have my motel in a bag.

15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Teardrops are cute and entertaining to look at, but I don't want to live in one. I'd rather have a pop-up or such if I want small and light, or a conventional small trailer. I really value being able to stand up inside.

16. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've been interested in building one. I've seen some home built ones that are pretty nice.

17. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I Dled a bunch of plans a while back. Some day I'll build one, just for fun. One of the plans I looked at had a hatch in the floor where you set a bucket and you have a bathroom inside. I hope you also have ventilation.

It looks to me like you can get the little Harbor Freight trailer for a few hundred bucks, build a teardrop on it, and sell it for incredible amounts. It might make a nice little business.

I like the idea of a privacy shelter just outside the door so I can stand up to get dressed.

18. limey

limey Well-Known Member

I had never heard of a teardrop until reading this thread.... then, on the way to work this morning in Lacey, Washington, I pulled up alongside a teardrop with red fenders towed by a black jeep. There sure didn't seem enough room to lay down properly in there. Kinda cute, though!

19. SmartAZ

SmartAZ Well-Known Member

I read that same site a while back. Yes, they are awfully cute. The lack of a potty is not a problem, all you really need is a poncho, you know? The problem is that they cost $6,000 and you can buy a pretty nice camping outfit for a lot less than that. Or, you can spend 60 nights in a motel.

Build it yourself? Ok, if you know as much as the guys in the factory. Looking at the pictures, I detect that there are some painful learning experiences. It's almost always better to get things done by someone who knows how. Pay special attention to the part about skinning your creation and you will see what I mean. You really REALLY don't want a skin that leaks or falls off.

You do carry a few ponchos for emergencies, right?

20. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

If you can only come up with a tent or a hotel room as your two alternatives to sleeping in a silly little micro trailer while working on the road, you obviously aren't real serious about this, or you have a lot to learn. Like many in the construction industry, I have lived in my trailer for months at a time. Most real trailers have their own bathrooms, kitchens and dining and sitting areas. If you are serious about hitting the road for any length of time, a teardrop isn't going to cut it. I find it curious that you have such an aversion to alledgedly filthy hotel rooms, but have no issue with a campground bathroom? Having stayed at hundreds of campgrounds in the last decade, I can assure you that they are no different that hotels. Some have beautiful bathrooms, some are unspeakably disgusting. If you are serious about this, spend a little more time researching before you drop a few thousand dollars in a toy trailer. Like I said before, I think teardrops are really cool, but they are nothing but a weekend toy, not a temporary residence.