Anybody here drink a glass of wine per day for your health?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by coventry49, Nov 8, 2005.

1. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    I don't do wine, but I do have 8 oz of grape juice every morning with my breakfast. I'm not overly fond of it, but supposedly those concord grapes are particularly good for you.

2. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

RH,

You would probably be wise to have that glass of wine with supper. Just cut back on some of you carbs at dinner, especially simple carbs. I don't know what you take for your diabetes but even with the wine, it seems you are pretty well controlled. If your sure doesn't go over 115 all day then you should give yourself a huge pat on the back. Also keep in mind that a "glass" of wine is only 4 oz. (1/2 cup). Otherwise, just have it earlier in the evening. Having that glass with supper will also help prevent stomach irritation and keep people from thinking you're a drunk for having it before noon. ;)

The type of wine you drink also makes a difference in the health benefits. Red wine is best to prevent heart disease, stroke, and cancer. The concord does tend to have a higher sugar content and less alcohol. But drink what you like.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Too many alcoholics in my family so I don't drink. But I think just the grape juice would do the same thing.

4. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Personally its against the way i live.. for me....
    But there are some good reasons for drinking some..
    Biblically is permitted for health reasons..
    Now to tell you what i know.. My grandmother had alltimers and was in the nursing home as her children wasnt able to care for her.. She lost her appetite and the doctor prescribed one ounce per day. it helped her to have an appetite and would help her in digestion.. It worked

Now about your blood sugars.. The ADA recomends that blood sugars are between 80 and 120.. So you was not really high after all.

Cyngbaeld i believe is correct that grape juice is just as good

Dry wines have more alcohol content i believe.
    dale

5. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    RH: No doubt I will get flamed but Mogen David is to wine what cat pee is to beer. Its far to sweet and no doubt the source of your high blood sugar. Most
    doctors who recommend wine usually suggest a Dry Red Wine.Its the tannin in red wine thats good for the heart. I would take it with dinner or just as you finish the work day before dinner. Doc Savvas, my own physician, says his father came home from his law practice on the Island of Cyprus each day about 6pm and took a glass of red wine and a small slice of proscuitto and a bit of bread on the terrace in the fresh air and relaxed before dinner. Lawyer Savvas lived to the ripe age of 98 and his good wife made it to 105 on the same daily regimen. May I suggest a nice Merlot if you like dry wine or a bit of Cabernet if you want something a bit less dry but not sweet. Now as to a bedtime drink, I'm partial to just a tiny bit of tawney port in cold weather or a nice herbal tisane. Good for the digestion and sure to give you sweet dreams. Remember St Paul's
    advice to Timothy...Take a little wine for thy stomachs sake and for the cure of all your little illnesses. 1 Timothy5:23

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I have a glass of wine with supper. My family's Greek, and we all just had a glass of wine with supper growing up. It just went together - good food, good company, good wine. I prefer the big flavored, deep red zinfandels myself. If you're not used to red wine, you might give Pinot Noir a try - it has a softer, more approachable taste.

"Dry" when it comes to wine just means it isn't sweet, it doesn't have anything to do with alcohol content. (I don't know if I'm a connoiseur - I just try different wines and buy more of the ones I like)

7. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Actually the Bible has wine drinking pretty much cover to cover.

Plus Jesus Christ's first public performance of a miracle was to bring the booze to a 2-week party (Wine) and he got into grief with the local leaders for bringing the best and most expensive wine, to which he responded that His Father only supplies the Best.

And yes even wine is also recommended for stomache ailments. But dont forget that hard distilled liquers are also recommended for those who grieve.

LOL

Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. 7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Ecclesiastes 2:24 There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.

Ecclesiastes 3:12 I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life. 13 And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.

Ecclesiastes 5:18 Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion. 19 Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labour; this is the gift of God.

Ecclesiastes 8:15 Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 9:7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works. 8 Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment.

Sorry, but no. It is up to the vintner. How much sugar content is in the wort before fermentation. The yeast will consume much of the sugars, if you allow it to consume all sugar you will have a 'dry' wine. If you stop the yeast a little short then a sweater wine. But generally commercial marketed wines will all have 11%-12% regardless of sweat or dry. Homemade wines will normally have as high as 15% alcohol.

8. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I agree with FolioMark about Mogen David. Haven't had it since forever, but I remember it was also sweet, which tells me lots of sugars.

I'd go with a cabernet or a Zinfindel --- a red one, not ne of those stupid pink or white ones. I just found out about another kind of wine made from grapes called primitivo. It's supposed to be great, if you like the really flavorful red wines, and cheap, believe it or not. A good bottle of Italian primitivo can be as low as $7-8 a bottle. I'm planning on trying it myself, as a bit of wine every day is so, so good for you.

9. lonewolfparker

lonewolfparker Active Member

well here is my 2cents worth my highly religous grandmother used to drink 4 ounces with the evening meal for years in fact when she quit she started having problems my father used to make a big batch every two years and i wished he still did but if you go to a local home brewery shop you might be able to find someone who makes a good wine go for it. it sure will not hurt you

10. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Dm (d*** mother) uses that excuse to get her day in day out fix. She was a denying drinker while we grew up then sober for years. Got a new hubby and started drinking for health "reasons". The doc says {A} glass of dark red pure( no added stuff like sugar or apple juice) grape juice has the same benefit. Shes a nurse so she knows better. :viking:

My advice is to not look for excuses. Drink the cheeper , safer , better tasteing stuff. The whole family can partake in.

11. Joey Wahoo

Joey Wahoo Well-Known Member

The latest studies confirm that it is the alcohol that is beneficial, not something unique to red wine. I used to drink a glass of red wine before bedtime, but now I've switched to a bourbon and water.

Drinking a cocktail instead of a glass of wine should give you the same benefit, but perhaps without the negative effects.

The key is to only have one or two. That amount is beneficial. Drink more and the negative effects outweigh the positive.

12. Joey Wahoo

Joey Wahoo Well-Known Member

Here is a cut and paste discussing what I just posted above:

In practice, though, beverage choice appears to have little effect on cardiovascular benefit. A report from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study, for example, examined the drinking habits of more than 38,000 men over a 12-year period. Moderate drinkers were 30-35% less likely to have had a heart attack than non-drinkers.(20)

This reduction was observed among men who drank wine, beer, or spirits, and was similar for those who drank with meals and those who drank outside of meal time. This study suggests that the frequency of drinking may matter. Men who drank every day had a lower risk of heart attack than those who drank once or twice a week.

13. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i drink wine all the time, i make so much i cant very well throw it out can i???

14. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I know someone who tried this, but the problem is stopping with one glass. It's like eating one potato chip. Deb

15. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

you know, if you're feeling generous.............. :buds:

16. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Hey, that was my thought, but I wasn't brave enough to type it. For the longest time I read Shrek's Make Your Own Wine Thread, yet I think it is far too scientific of a process for my mind to handle. Deb

17. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

check out my thread in the crafts and recipe's forum, it'll pop your cherry in an easy and informal manner. if you like it cheap and easy you can then scale it up to as snooty as you can handle :)

edit: here we are

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=104370

18. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I'm typeII diabetic, and my doc has been after me for years to drink a glass of red wine each day. I've just not been able to do it though. Just don't like the taste I guess.

I don't drink too much as it is, even drinking one beer will usually give me a headache in the morning. Yet, I like whiskey and can drink a half gallon at night and still feel perfectly fine in the AM. Ok, maybe not a half gallon, but a goodly amount anyway.

I wonder if whiskey is almost as good as wine for diabetics.... probably not :)

Wayne

19. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

I've been drinking a beer recently in the evenings. After dinner is almost prepared and on the table, I'll pop the top. The reason? When dh sent me into the liquor store to get his drink of choice there was a six-pack of my favorite (and hard to find) beer sitting on the floor right in front of my eyes. As I haven't been able to find this beer for about a decade, I just had to pick some up for a treat. :clap:

Since the latest studies are showing any type of alcohol, could we assume the health benefits are due to relaxation and better family relations after work? Are we not encouraged to "eat, drink and be merry?" Perhaps one drink an evening is all that is needed to rinse off the stress of the daily grind, and begin anew with your family time.

It works for me. I self-medicate occasionally with alcohol. Usually when I find myself overwhelmed with anxiety or stress, a drink to wind down does the trick. I'm considering making it a regular practice.

As for the wine and sugar levels, I would judge by the flavor of the wine. If it's sweet, it's sugar content is higher. If it's more on the sour (dry) side, it's sugar content is lower.

20. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Wayne, I can't drink red wine...It can give me migraines. I read up on that, but as I said, I am not scientific enough to understand why the reds moreso then white wines can do that. Please say no to whiskey...almost everyone everyone I seem to know who drinks anymore does whiskey-cokes....then, they can't understand why they are gaining weight and develop high-blood pressure problems. Maybe if you were just drinking straight-shots, that would eliminate some of the calories and caffiene. Sorry. Deb