Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew had made a stew with beef. He asked me how I liked it. I said it was great. taters big chunked but well done, meat really tasty. He said cause he had used his new steak receipt on it. I said what\s that? he said

Equal amounts of
regular coffee outa the jar or can
brown sugar,
seasoned salt.

Anybody heard of it.

AND neither of us like coffee

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
A little known fact is that the old "chuck wagon" cooking almost always contained coffee. A fresh pot of coffee was made every day and because there was not access to fresh water all the time ,what remained went into the next meal.
It adds a little something to the taste of what ever you are cooking.

Wade

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
The American Grille serves a Kona crusted bone in rib steak that is fantabulous. I tried to replicate it, but crashed and burned. I like plain ol' salt and pepper in a hot stainless pan, deglazed with red wine.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
some recipes call for a really strong brewed coffee like expresso. no coffee grounds are used so instant can be a good alternative. water willnot depart any taste so any flavored water can bring a different taste to things. the more acid the liquid the more it will be tender if used in a marinade. Sometimes it can make meat a little mushy if left too long.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Not used it on beef, but that a great rub on babyback ribs :happy2:

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I make a red-eye stew that has whisky and a lot of coffee in it... My wife says its the best tasting stew she's ever had ever time I make it... I've made it for company on several occasions too, and got the same response from them... The coffee is the real secret ingredient..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts