Anybody hear do any major recycling?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Sep 26, 2005.

1. I'm currently trying to figure out whether I can throw old clothing material in the compost bin? Not sure if polyester and other man made material is good for the gardening or not. Anyway, I got to thinking about the last long term employment I had with a company it recycled much of the waste it generated. I worked for a Electrical Contractor and he and his family recycled just about anything they touched with very little going to the landfill. Everytime we came in off a job we placed all aluminum in one bin, all copper in its own bin, and all steel in its own bin. All papers and cardboard products was burned in a designated burn pile. Much of used copper wiring was burned to remove the jackets before going in the bin. My boss and his family recycled all the house hold trash they produced. Glass was seperated out, plastic seperated, and tin cans were de-papered and thrown in the steel bin.

About once a year they would cash in all the metals and devide the money up and we would all get about $60 to $70 each. It was a great bonus if you ask me.

2. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

Yahoo for your last company doing what they can.! Decided to go around and collect the newspapers/preprints that we normally trashed on my floor here at the newspaper and take them to the recycle boxes downstairs. At home, save up my newspapers from subscription and take to the library recycle bin/which is part of our recycle program from here at work.
    One thing I have learned about recycling is that "reuse and reduce" are even more important - still working on those two. Use egg cartons for extra ice trays and they do work! Even the lid to make long pieces of ice for the cooler.

Here's a site: www.compostguide.com which may help.

JackieA

3. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

P.S. Having odds and ends around the house one might think nobody wants - put it in a yardsale anyway. My friend recently had a sale and was going to throw away a hair dryer piece and I put a 10 cent sticker on it and it sold! Put some odd & end nails/screws/etc in a baggy and it sold for 25 cents. Broken dishes - put in a box and note "use for mosiac"!
    Same with magazines, even old and cut up ones - someone may want it for scrapbooking/other articles, etc - sell, sell, sell instead of throwing away!

4. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

You can put any clothing that is 100% cotton in the compost pile- no polyester or other synthetics. If you are going to recycle clothing in the compost take off all the buttons and zippers first- they can be re-used.

We used to compost all of our scrap metal and aluminum at work- once a year we would have a big company party with the proceeds. when I was doing shows on the road I would collect all the copper wire scraps, remove the insulation, and make a ball of copper wire. I made some pretty big ones, lol. All my friends laughed at me, but every so often I would sell that copper and always made a few hundred $$$$.

We seperate all of our household stuff for recycling. We have to drop off cans, bottles, newspapers, and cardboard, no pick up here. As we do more and more home canning we look forward to having a lot fewer cans and bottles to recycle.

Once you get into the habit of recycling everything, it really doesn't take all that much time, and I think it is well worth the effort.

5. heather

heather Well-Known Member

We just spent the weekend cleaning up at our building site -

We came away with several large boxes of different metals that we can take to the scrap yard (we'll add it to what we already have)

We also came away with many recyclable drink containers (ice tea, mountain dew, etc.)

Are contractors always this messy??

Also came away with lots of scrap wood that they had in a burning pile - we will use it somewhere!

I cleaned up a lot of sawdust too that I will put in the compost pile

6. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

People surround them selves with material things, piling these things up high in the corners of their homes. It's all about an insecurity. The media says, "purchase this and that, it's on sale, get two for the price of one". So we get more and more, and for what ? In an other country people sit on the floor,(or use to) and have very little trash in their homes, they even take their shoes off. What's that all about ? Where is all their trash ? Is it a "WASTE NOT WANT NOT" thing ? In this country,some children yell at parents when they come home from a hard days work "WHAT DID YOU BRING ME"! How much junk is in the toy box ? QUESTION ? who knows if there is any harmful gases from burning Aluminum, cans etc.? I hear that it is a hotter heat than gasoline. KEEP RECYCLING.

7. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Donkey man.......
    1. We take our shoes off in Miane, it's probably because Canada does and we are only next door. I do it to keep chicken poo outdoors and not where the kids hang out.
    2. My kids do not say "what did you bring me" because they know I will make them do push ups if they nag me.
    3. I just drove to Boston to get my Dad's old stuff (boy it's nice) because his stuck up designer girlfriend hates it, and is buying all new stuff. No stores for me. If it ain't used, it ain't in my house. I even just bought a used halloween costume for my D daughter.
    4. In Maine, when you bring your 5 cent bottles back to the store, they burn it. Not recycle, BURN it. They say it's cheaper. Our town burns all it's garbage too.
    In conclusion........some things you try to help and just end up getting screwed.