Anybody have/raise or info on Southdown Mini Olde ENglish Baby Doll Sheep?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chickflick, Apr 30, 2004.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Man.. the long name is enough to run you off!! I'm not sure I got the right ORDER, but you get the idea. I've been thinking of getting these (article in Countryside this mo.) but wonder about the expense being worth the wait.

I KNOW the breeders think they're great, and since there's a waiting list????

Opinions, please.

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I have Babydolls! I've had mine for about 9 years. I think they are great, easy for me to handle. I can shear them and trim their hoofs with no problems.
    I spin their wool and have had no problems there.
    They look nice grazing on the lawn. :haha:

3. chickflick

Hey.. COWGIRL.. check your PM'S!!:):)

4. cowgirlone

Hi Chickflick!
    I tried to PM back, but it says your Pm's are full! :D

5. cowgirlone

6. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

I, too, plan to raise sheep and am drawn to the babydolls. I spin and just want to raise them for getting the fleece for my own use. I just want a half dozen or so to have as a hobby and am not looking to be a breeder. I was thinking of contacting a breeder to buy their sheep that they are not interested in breeding or are beyond their prime although I understand that the older the sheep gets the lesser the quality of the fleece so I'm not real sure about that. I don't want to pay breeding stock prices since I don't want to breed. Maybe there will be younger ones that for one reason or another should not be bred and they can come to my house to spend out their years in happy contentment. I just think sheep are fascinating.
    I also want to have some alpaca and a guard llama to protect the flock. I'm not quite ready yet to get a flock but am primarily doing research now so I'll be educated about raising sheep by the time I am ready for them.
    I saw the article in Countryside and loved it. Good luck on your search for sheep.
    Colleen

7. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

There is also a breed of miniature border Cheviots, I believe. Actually, the border Cheviot is a small sheep to begin with. They are a more reasonable price than those Babydolls, and more available.
    The babydolls look cute, but I don't like sheep with wool all over their faces like that. It can cause eye problems. I love the looks of the Cheviots - clean heads and clean legs, nice hard black hooves, their ears are upright like little ponies, and big pretty eyes! If you haven't totally committed to a breed yet, take a look at them, too !

8. chickflick

Okay.. RandB.. where can I see some of these 'pretties"?? :):) Do you know of a website? (I tend to agree with you on the wool on the face.. they look like a little more care than I care to deal with)

9. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I would also post this on the sheep forum....sounds like fun and I hope you find them. LQ

10. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Brecknock Hill Cheviots are nice little sheep. Hardy, very few lambing problems, if handled when young, are quite friendly. Nice fleece for handspinning,, having spun my share.

For Babydolls.. not saying they are a bad sheep, but they are not as hardy as some breeders say they are. They are labor intesive during lambing, and they do have more birthing problems than the above sheep breed. I also found quantary
    to info written, they will and do eat ones Fruit Orchard trees,, even the mature ones. The Rams,, I did not find one to meet my requirements, all I bought, saw and had, ended up at the butchers for being aggressive and over sexed.
    Their fleece while soft, is short and can be hard for the beginner to spin.
    Their is a lot of miss information out there about this breed.

All I can recommend,, is talk to as many breeders as possible, get detailed with your requirements. IE,, are their Rams gentle at any age, will the stand by their word... etc.. etc....
    Here is a good up and coming Registry for them.... There are good honest folks running it.

http://www.babydollsheep.org/

11. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Also, if you're looking for a *small* sheep breed, consider Shetlands. There's enough of them around that the prices aren't exhorbitant, they come in all kinds of colors (with lovely fleeces), & they are excellent mothers. Here is the breed site: http://www.shetland-sheep.org/
    Here's a pic of a ewe with lambs:
    [​IMG]

One of a new lamb:
    [​IMG]

And one of a young ram:
    [​IMG]