Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17 month old granddaughter lives 800 miles away from me but she's been up here with her mom, visiting us and the other side of the family, for the past 6 weeks. I noticed that the entire 6 weeks she's been up here, at least when she's been at my house, she's had very pale limestone-colored poop. She gets terrible constipation, as well, and she's only in the 5th percentile for weight and the 10th for height or vice versa. Her parents have been attributing her small size to her being 30 days premature until recently. Her doctor hasn't acted concerned but the doctor didn't ask about poop color.

Finally yesterday I asked my daughter in law how long she's had the pale poop and she says she thinks they've looked like that since she was about 3-4 months old, when my DIL got pregnant again and her breast milk dried up. They did the homemade goat milk baby formula for her using the recipe developed by a nutritionist.

She doesn't have any jaundice. No abdominal pain except when she's constipated. No coughing or salty skin.

Since my son and DIL didn't know pale poops were a bad sign, they probably don't remember exactly when it got pale. My sincere hope is that she can tolerate goat milk at least and maybe it didnt' get pale until they started giving her solids. She's always been extremely picky and eats such a tiny amount that she has got most of her nutrition from liquids. I'm hoping it's just from a gluten intolerance or cow milk allergy. My son and I are both extremely intolerant of cow milk protein - to the point of GI bleeding, even.

Does anybody have experience with this? They're heading home this weekend and planning to see the doctor but I'd like to get a handle on it because my son and DIL are young and might need help affording the right foods etc. I want to be able to help them out and make sure the baby gets what she needs.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
She may have liver problems and not be producing enough bile. Those could be what they call acholic stools. If the liver doesn't produce enough bile then her system won't break down what she eats correctly, and she'll have an excess of acid in her stomach and bloating, which could all tie in to her being so picky about what she eats and having trouble with constipation.

Did she have any trouble as a newborn? Was her bilirubin high, causing them to put her under the "bili lights" at the hospital? Was her skin jaundiced at all as a newborn? Is her urine dark instead of almost clear? Those could all be signs of biliary atresia, which usually doesn't present clearly right away but gradually shows up as the child grows.

Or it could just be a reaction to what she's eating or drinking, like you said. But I'd definitely want to get it checked out if it was me, especially if it's been going on this long. It could just be an easy fix and the poor baby won't have to suffer with it any more. Hope this helps. :) Maybe someone else will chime who's had a child or grandchild with issues like this.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She had mild jaundice but didn't have to be under the lights. Her urine has been clear for me, her mom says it gets kind of strong smelling if she doesn't drink enough water but it's never brown.

I'm praying this will be something that won't require painful medical procedures. She cries if we even show her food today. She gags when she tries to swallow solids. We put her back on the goat formula.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Since they are open to goat milk, how about raw goat kefir ? The stuff that's coming out to the masses about healthy gut flora is fascinating. So much so, I'm trying desperately to force myself to like fermented seaweed. ;)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
One of the guys I used to work with had a son that would not grow and his poop was different. They went through lots of doctors before they were told he had a very rare genetic disease. His body did not produce a certain enzyme or something. It can be treated but he is still very tiny and will always have to take the drugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts