Anybody have cashmere goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Delinda, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

I am considering adding a few cashmere goats to my herd, mainly because i know a man who has 5 for sale, 3 of the does are expecting in oct. He said 3 were black and 2 were red, I am going to go look at them tonight. One of the questions is-Is this a good color for them? I have never seen any around where I live and the ones I have seen in magazines are white. How is their temperment and do they have to be sheared? Since they are quite rare in my area of Tn. I though I might try some, and the price seems right-he wants $450. for the 5 of them. 4 does, 1 buck. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Delinda, I raise cashmere goats. You will love them, they are great weed control (they eat more noxious weeds then any other goats besides Spanish). Mine are all very well tempered, and they are all lovers. (I think all goats can be). I have white, silver, and brown badger face. I would love to have a red doe, I am trying to breed for that this year. Congratulations. If you would like, go to my web site and you can see mine. On my web page you can see the FIBER tab and you will see all we do is use a dog undercoat comb to comb them out, and they will start lossing the fiber anytime after January. They all lose it at different times. I would love to see pictures. we show all over the state of Colorado and are thinking about going to the Texas State fair.

3. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

Sweetgoats, thanks for the reply, I bought 3 of the does, 2 of them are pregnant, and the other doe is open, they were not red, it was a misprint in the ad, it should have said bred instead of red, anyway they are solid black and I just love them already,they are very gentle and have settled in well already. I will get a picture tomorrow, I would love to get your opinion of them. Their horns really surprised me, they look like a Kikos hornset. I really am pleased with them. I'm going to check out your website now.

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Delinda, do not be afraid of the horns. Cashmere goats have to have the horns. They do not sweat so that is how they release their body heat. Feel them is it gets really hot at your place anymore this yer, you will be suprised. Congratulations. :baby04: