Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When I lived in Chicagoland (42*N) I put up a high tunnel over the remnants of the tomato plants in late Sept and the indeterminant vines would continue to produce vine-ripened fruits well into Dec.(most yrs)....Here in WI (44*N) we don't get enough sunny days to do that after Sept.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've got herbs, spinach, lettuces, my kale is also flourishing. I moved my lemon trees into my sunroom and I have olive trees in my shed. I have zucchini plants that have bloomed but no zucchini.

I have been watching a lot of gardening shows on YouTube. So I am planting bulbs and perennials, and evergreens, in the ground and in pots. I want my backyard to be a no mow or very little to mow and just flowers and a potager.

·
newfieannie
9,497 Posts
gardening finished here. we suddenly went into the deepfreeze. not sure what it is out there now but supposed to be -17C with the windchill later. i was just out on the deck putting my recycles in the bin. wind something fierce. glad to get in the warmth.

i was out shopping this morning. first time this year i had to wear my winters jacket and a scarf. snow storm coming on thursday. lets face it . it is dec. and we have been lucky so far. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,497 Posts
i feel like i could start gardening again. nice and warm. i got the windows all open. not a bit of snow. we only had those 2 snowstorms. then we had mostly rain. i got so tired of bringing my decorations back and forth i brought them in for good. it's been a weird december! course it's been a really weird 2020!

i saved on gas for the house and snow ploughing though. doesn't look like any cold weather through the rest of dec. course there's always jan. feb and mar. lot of people want snow though but not me. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I didn't do much of any type of gardening on my balcony this year mostly because I couldn't buy any seedlings and seeds anywhere; the garden centers were just empty. Come next year I want to go all out again like I used too. My balcony growing space is 5'x7' and the balcony walls are all glass, no balcony overhead so I get a fair amount of sun even facing north.
On that space I usually grow lettuces and radishes and chives first, then spring onions, 4-5 herbs, carrots for fun, green beans sometimes, and finally kale. I'll get handfuls of cherry sized tomatos from 1-2 plants. I've tried other vegetables too, with limited success, probably because of the sun. With such a small space I need to use the real estate carefully.

My pleasure is to be able to pick a tiny bit of "something" nearly every day from later May to end of September, even a bit later if the weather cooperates.

·
newfieannie
9,497 Posts
i didn't see where you grow potatoes. you can grow them in a tub. i grow them on my deck. you don't have to have that big of a tub for a few potatoes. be surprised how much you can grow in a small space.

i was planning on digging up part of my small lawn when covid hit. i dont know why i let that stop me. i was out there gardening anyway. hopefully i can do it this year. i don't plan on planting anything at my place in the country this year. that's where i planted most of the potatoes but i rarely eat them now. ~Georgia

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
I have heaped my garden spot with dead leaves and there it will sit until Spring! Mi gardener on youtube says that he can plant potatos in the Fall and that they will grow the next year: I have left a few spuds in there as an experiment. Thee is never enough time in the spring and if I can plant in the Fall that would be great!

Winter has been unusually mild so far this year: the weather station mentioned that we are having a La Nina this year so that might be why

·
Registered
17 Posts
Experienced pool boy seeks employment.... ;)

I too have spuds in the ground for next year. As long as they are not exposed to the frost, they should be fine. I mulch over them pretty thick and then the snow is an insulator as well.
Experimented with potato towers for the first time this last year, wont be repeating that. They produced alright but the effort to plant and harvest them was significantly greater than planting in rows or mounds.

The berries are covered in plastic, the raised beds are mulched over, the back garden is covered in snow... bring on springtime.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I didn't do much of any type of gardening on my balcony this year mostly because I couldn't buy any seedlings and seeds anywhere; the garden centers were just empty. Come next year I want to go all out again like I used too. My balcony growing space is 5'x7' and the balcony walls are all glass, no balcony overhead so I get a fair amount of sun even facing north.
On that space I usually grow lettuces and radishes and chives first, then spring onions, 4-5 herbs, carrots for fun, green beans sometimes, and finally kale. I'll get handfuls of cherry sized tomatos from 1-2 plants. I've tried other vegetables too, with limited success, probably because of the sun. With such a small space I need to use the real estate carefully.

My pleasure is to be able to pick a tiny bit of "something" nearly every day from later May to end of September, even a bit later if the weather cooperates.
If you grew a perennial kale, like a Kalidescope Kale, you could probably grow it all year round. One leaf is a salad or a meal.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Still trying to garden on hillside of mountain and not so far successfully. Did get a gift - Aerogrow 3 pod hydroponic grow for inside. Got lettuce coming up just fine. Very encouraging while low temps and snow expected. But now have to figure some thing to lower electric bill in exchange.

Reactions: newfieannie
21 - 31 of 31 Posts