Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL, I correspond with a fellow who has a lady gardening partner. Not his wife, just a lady who likes to garden.

I too have a gardening partner, she tells me what to plant and when to bring it in for cooking. Subject came up today because the only thing left are leeks, and I tilled the garden and put it to bed for winter--except for the leeks, which will winter and grow again in the Spring before going to seed

I think I'll turn Muslim or Mormon, get two or three YOUNG wives to do the heavy work in rthe garden. Only problem is that I'c have to hire a young pool boy too.

·
Premium Member
25,141 Posts
I picked plenty of beans yesterday to dry and this winter when im shut in ill hull them for seed for next year. I pulled out all the hoses in the garden, took up the tomato hoops and put them away, and took out the T posts that held the hoops in place and took them over to where my rabbit cages are. I will rebuild my rabbitry the same way i had it at my other place. I thought the ground here was just hard from not being plowed for ages, and it is, BUTT< I noticed yesterday that my back share tip was broken off. Today I took it off and replaced it with a good one I had on hand. Replowed my S field, about a third of it. Plowed ALOT better, AND The ground is hard. Makes the H snort.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm getting all the summer crops out and in the process of getting my winter crops in the ground. There have been a few setbacks, but nothing too awful.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I picked plenty of beans yesterday to dry and this winter when im shut in ill hull them for seed for next year. I pulled out all the hoses in the garden, took up the tomato hoops and put them away, and took out the T posts that held the hoops in place and took them over to where my rabbit cages are. I will rebuild my rabbitry the same way i had it at my other place. I thought the ground here was just hard from not being plowed for ages, and it is, BUTT< I noticed yesterday that my back share tip was broken off. Today I took it off and replaced it with a good one I had on hand. Replowed my S field, about a third of it. Plowed ALOT better, AND The ground is hard. Makes the H snort.
Sounds like you are having fun. Do you have a green house?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill; Daughter #1 has gotten interested in rabbits, bought TAMUK. (breed developed at Texas A & M University at Kingsville) The are a hardy breed and get big, Selling for high prices now. Apparently get very big and grow fast. Dtr says she sold her first litter for $40 each a few days ago. I staked her to a couple of cages from that outfit in Mo that makes rabbit gear so well.
She started with two does and a buck, paid a fortune for them. She's learning.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Yes. Frozen vegetables. Actually, I still have some beets out there that are covered, but I am thinking they are frozen. Might dig them up tomorrow and see.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have some lettuce making a valiant, but futile effort to grow in a cold frame-- it's not so much the cold but too many cloudy days that keeps them stunted.

For the first time, I'm experimenting with lettuce, tomato & green peppers in the heated garage (`~60*)this winter. Lettuce looks good, Tomatoes are just sprouting. The green pepper plants are ones transplanted from this yr's garden. The fruits are growing slowly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have my Perennial Kale going gangbusters. Probably 4 feet tall.

Also my Arugala from two seasons ago went to seed and reseeded this fall. It is going gangbusters.

I keep wanting to put up cat tunnels and grow through the winter, but laziness has hampered that idea.

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
I've got pea plants flowering - with pods about an inch long.
I also noticed about 5 - 6 tomato plants that reseeded themselves and are about 3 - 5 inches high wanting to grow in another raised bed.

I'm here north of Atlanta. We had freezing temperatures the past couple nights so I tossed a fleece blanket over them. Hope they survive as I'd like to see what they do.

Seriously thinking of starting some romaine lettuce as the grocery store costs are skyrocketing. I'm getting a couple windows replaced and was thinking of using the old ones on a modified raised bed.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,329 Posts
About to pick the last of the pumpkins and butternut squash. The heritage tomatoes suffered from the frost. Cherry tomatoes are ok.

Kale and Swiss chard are fine. Potatoes still growing.

The shallots are up.

Reactions: RJ2019

·
Registered
239 Posts
Turnip greens, lettuce, and spinach. Also carrots, but I forgot about them (oops) and they're trying to peek out through a bunch of weeds.

I have a small little 6x8 greenhouse that I dug out of the shed that the old homeowners left behind. I put it together, except for the cover, because I don't have any anchors. My dad wouldn't listen to me about the physics of WIND, and put it on. Sure enough, it turned into a big kite. LOL Now he's hasseling me about that "piece of trash" in my yard, but I still have plans to use it once I get a floor and anchors.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
i pulled a few carrots yesterday that i didn't know i had. some roses still blooming even after a few frosts but that's about it. ~Georgia

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
I have some hardy greens in a cold frame. I am HOPING to have fresh backyard greens for Thanksgiving

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I live in an apartment and didn't do much garden wise this year, all the lineups etc. However, this morning I looked out on my balcony and saw that the chives are up (again). They were bright green peeking out from a thin crust of snow on the planter. I snipped most of them today for my scrambled eggs.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
11/19/20 5:51 PM CST

I still have onions and winter greens going in the garden but went ahead and stripped all the tomatoes the day before the first frost risk rather than covering them and having to remember to uncover them the next day.

I ended up with 21 semi ripe tomatoes to window sill ripen and wrapped and boxed about 60 to closet ripen before tossing the vines in the outdoor compost pile.

As far as hot peppers go , I still have two bucketed jalapeno plants, a tabasco and a habanaro pepper plant in the worm room.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shrek--those wrapped tomatoes will come in handy. In OK I was able to have ripe tomatoes at Christmas by wrapping the green ones in newspaper and storing them on the cold floor of the garage. In the house on a kitchen counter they ripened quickly and were at least as good as store-bought tomatoes.

·
Registered
711 Posts
11/19/20 5:51 PM CST

I still have onions and winter greens going in the garden but went ahead and stripped all the tomatoes the day before the first frost risk rather than covering them and having to remember to uncover them the next day.

I ended up with 21 semi ripe tomatoes to window sill ripen and wrapped and boxed about 60 to closet ripen before tossing the vines in the outdoor compost pile.

As far as hot peppers go , I still have two bucketed jalapeno plants, a tabasco and a habanaro pepper plant in the worm room.
Closet ripen, I like that term. I also have a paper bag of tomatoes closet ripening. :)

·
Premium Member
6,955 Posts
I've got yellow, 4 red, and white roses going nuts, flowering all over the place (literally). They don't think we're serious about this "winter" thing.

Which, it's NICE to have a small, fresh bunch of roses in a vase every day.

Mon

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
Posted 11/20/20 5:41 PM CST

What I like about cool dark closet ripened maters is even with periodic checking for the occasional bad one, as they ripen, they have better flavor than reefer trucked store bought winter tomatoes that are like eating wax fruit.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Posted 11/20/20 5:41 PM CST

What I like about cool dark closet ripened maters is even with periodic checking for the occasional bad one, as they ripen, they have better flavor than reefer trucked store bought winter tomatoes that are like eating wax fruit.
I love being able to have tomatoes for half the year or longer using this method.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts