Anybody familiar with the Governeur/Watertown area of New York?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by POULTRYWAGON, Aug 7, 2004.

1. POULTRYWAGON

POULTRYWAGON Active Member

I'm hoping to get some insight into the area; job availability, growing season, taxes, anything you can tell me that might be helpful.
    We're originally from Michigan, and have lived in North Carolina for several years.
    This heat and humidity are getting old, and we're ready to move on!
    The reason I ask about this particular area, is that I found a real estate ad online with a big piece of land, for a pretty small price. Sounds too good to be true, almost, and I'm wondering if there's something I should know about...... no jobs in the area, or whatever.

:rolleyes:

Anyhow, hope y'all can help me out some. I mostly just lurk around here, enjoying everyone else's posts, and learning a lot in the process. I thought it would be worth a try to ask for your advice and knowledge....

Thanks a bunch! :eek:

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

My sister lived up there for almost ten years. She got tired of the winters. Snow by Oct and sometimes right into May. Snowed very heavily one Mother's Day. Real estate taxes are very high and even her health ins cost more than in Kansas City where she is now.. Not many jobs. Can't just "trash" the area though so I do have to add it is beautiful, folks were friendly and a great place to cool off in the summer.
    She could buy pretty much anything she needed OK and get small plane service to bigger airports easily and cheaply.

Good luck with your decision making,

PQ

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure hope you like shoveling snow. They are on the downwind side of the lake and it snows and snows and snows and snows, and then snows some more. Lake effect snow comes when the WIND is right, not necessarily when a storm comes, but it snows then too.

4. CnySolar

CnySolar Member

We are about 30 miles south of Watertown. We are transplants from Virginia. The biggest thing that I have trouble coping with is the winters. Winter is 6 months and then Spring summer and fall occupy the other 6 months. The summers are wonderfully cool, but short. The growing season is short, but there are ways to get a head start and faster growing variaties for the short season. Real estate is way cheaper than what it is in VA, but taxes are high.

Lake affect snow is bizarre! Watertown does not get as much as we do because it is a little further north. The arctic air sweeps down in a southeastern pattern and drops the snow right on us. There are often snow storms that drop over 70 inches in 30 hours.

There are jobs. It depends on what you are looking for. Fort Drum is in Watertown and is a huge army base and there are plenty of businesses to support the base. Syracuse is about 50 miles south and it is a fairly large city with plenty of work.

Fresh air is hard to come by during the winter unless you enjoy freezing and spend time outdoors. Your windows in your house will be closed and usually sealed up with plastic for 6 months.

If possible, keep your place in NC for the winter and get a place up here for the summer.

Brian
    Parish, NY

5. Thanks so much for your helpful insight.....
    Yeah, my dad told me about the lake effect snows. Hard to admit he was right..... ;) The snow there must make Michigan's snow look pretty lame. At least where I lived, which was southern Michigan.
    Sounds like we might need to look elsewhere.
    What first attracted me, of course, was the low cost of the land, and the fact that it's supposed to be gorgeous up there. And summertime would probably be perfect...
    Also, I was hoping that we could grow something besides the rocks we seem to have in such abundance here. ;)
    Anyhow, many thanks for your advice and good wishes.... :eek:)

6. POULTRYWAGON

POULTRYWAGON Active Member

That's my post up there, thanking everyone...I thought I was logged in. Sorry! :eek: