Anybody Ever Use Starbucks Coffee Grinds in Vegetable Garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, Jan 11, 2007.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Anybody here ever use Starbuck coffee grinds in the vegetable garden?

If you did, did it give the veggies a coffee like taste?

I put some into the soil a month ago, to compost over the winter.

Now, I have been told by a Starbucks employee that she used it in her tomato's soil last year, and it made her tomatoes taste "off," sort of like coffee.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't use Tarbucks, But I do mix the grounds into the soil. It just loosens the tight soils up thats all. Folks used to and still put Coffee grounds into worm beds..

3. catmar

catmar Well-Known Member

Worms love coffee grounds.

Your friend must have used tons to have her tomatoes taste off. :shrug: I think she was pulling your leg.

The worms will break down the coffee grounds within a few days, there is no coffee smell to the castings.

I put my grounds into my worm bin almost every day, I'm trying to cut down the caffeine intake. By the end of the winter I'll have a bin full of black gold to dump into my garden.

4. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the coffee grounds making the tomatoes tast off unless she dumped a whole bucket full in one spot. I pick up grounds from two different restaurants on a regular basis. I have a small yard and garden area and just spread the grounds around. When we moved here two years ago there had never been a garden or flower bed and the digging was terrible. Now I can dig anyplace in the yard and the dirt is nice and loose.

5. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I put my coffee grounds in with my compost, or around the base of acid-loving plants, and I've never had a coffee taste. Maybe she was imagining it. We always buy dark coffee, and sometimes we do buy Starbucks brand. We've never had a problem with it.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I think that would be great to have some tomatoes taste like coffee. Hopefully the caffiene would be in there too for a good coffee break tomato sandwich. :dance:
    I've never had it happen though. I throw all coffee grounds into the compost, and have worked grounds into soil. Great source of nitrogen too.

7. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

I also put the grounds in my compost pile. They smell so good!

I think it would be next to impossible to have a soil ammendment alter the tast of the fruit of anything, much less tomatoes. Maybe Marten can confirm?

Maybe your Starbucks employee used it as mulch though, and it splashed up on the plants and fruit and brewed the poor fruit?

8. RogueAPBT

RogueAPBT Member

I've used them in large amounts, compared to the area they were in, with no problems. Maybe she had preconceptions and imagined the coffee taste..? At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it. The worms will love it.

9. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I pick up coffee grounds from a friend's coffee hut periodically and put them in my compost pile. My grandpa always dug little holes in amongst the garden and filled them with coffee grounds, potatoe peels etc. We always had a lush garden! (alot of volunteer potato, tomato, and avocado seedlings too!)

10. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Some soil amendments may slightly alter the taste of fruit but usually it is neglible. Any changes in taste are usually for the better in that the plant is able to obtain more nutrients, more water, etc. In other words, for the better. To ask a tomato to taste like coffee would be asking the plant to transfer coffee from cell to cell and eventually to the fruit. Won't happen.

Ever since gardeners discovered Starbucks, coffee grounds have been used straight on lawns and gardens or composted. Other than a possible slight coffee smell in the air, there are no other "side affects".

Martin

11. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Martin. People who have eaten fresh veggies in Europe often remark on how tasty the food is. This is because they use a lot of natural fertilizers rather than oil-byproduct fertilizers as is used in commercial farming here. I believe that veggies grown with compost and composted manure produce better-tasting veggies. They don't taste like the ingredients of the compost--whatever they are. Those coffee grounds aren't taken into the plant until they are broken down into the right chemical ingredients. It's not "coffee" anymore when that happens.

12. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be awfull if my veggies and corn tasted like chicken poop? Not that I know what chicken poop tastes like :) Maybe it tastes like corn and veggies :shrug:

13. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

I used coffee grounds from the above mentioned emporium on roses, and they still smelled like roses!!! ldc

14. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

Thats what I was thinking :)