Anybody Else Watch Gunsmoke?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NWSneaky, Mar 16, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

It is a five a.m. ritual here; gettin big kid off to work and little squirt hushed up. Best I can figure Matt Dillion (James Arness) has been shot at least 489 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Mr. Arness is yet alive at age 90, welcomes fans to talk and visit. Did you know the reason he limped in Gunsmoke and couldn't run is because he was wounded in the knee at Anzio during WW2"?

John Wayne turned down the role, thought TV was beneath his dignity. BUT, he recommended Mr. Arness and the rest is history.

2. Jo in PA

Jo in PA Well-Known Member

Yes, I love this show. Actually I watch all the old westerns. On Saturdays the t.v. is always on the Hallmark channel as it has the old westerns on all day.

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Such violence, for shame, for shame. Amazing how many kids/people were able to watch Gunsmoke and other westerns and still have a respect for life while today we are told how this violence leads to so many worldly ills. I'll bet most of us realize that it isn't the violence that begets violence, it is the values learned at home and the little respect for life that is more to blame.

Anyway, I enjoy watching the old westerns when they are shown. With only broadcast signals there is little chance to see them however.

BTW, don't think that the scenery in Gunsmoke is really anything like Kansas at all.
    I don't know if Gunsmoke was filmed in California or just where, but I can assure you it wasn't filmed in Kansas.

Now "Doc", i.e. Milburn Stone was a real Kansan. He was born about 20 miles from where I currently live.

4. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, but we looked up to the GOOD guys. And enough of us lived in the counrty to know that tv was play like but real violence and death were for real.Cheyenne, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Maverick, the Lawman, Tombstone, Wyatt Earp, the Rebel, Have GuN Will Travel, and many others fought for right and to defend the weak.

Refer to my post on Cowboy Code in CF to say more on that line.
    Ed

5. NWSneaky

You guys said it all. Westerns may have been violence BUT it was about right and wrong. Tend your own garden and stay out of my space. Agreed????????? BTW Festus, Ken Curtis, is dead but may have been the best actor ever.

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I love to watch the old westerns.
    I know the Dodge City area pretty well and always got a kick out of seeing mountains in the show. Matt had to ride pretty far to see territory like that!! :haha: :haha:

I still think all of the old westerns are great.

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Alas, like Windy, I only have antenna so limited to what local stations use as filler shows. Here few years ago one station showed Gunsmoke as a filler (usually very late night/early morning.) I'd watch if up when it was on. Still remember it from '60s. Festus was such a hoot. Ah, I'd like to see more of the old stuff but aint going to pay for satellite. I just pickup old movies when I see them cheap. I've actually been having fun with some of the 88cent movies from Walmart (I can barely buy a blank dvd for that). And once for $5 got bonus dvd pkg of old John Wayne movies. So when I see them, I collect them. Love to see the old Maverick series again. And WildWildWest. And the Virginian. Etc...

8. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

The only episode I know for sure where it was filmed was the "Snow Train" episode which was filmed in Hill City South Dakota using the historic 1880 train. There is a sign at the city limits displaying the info.

I got to meet James Arness in Clovis California at the statue dediction to Festus (Ken Curtis) that is on Pollaski at 4th street. I never realized how tall Arness was!

http://www.jamesarness.com/
    JA's personal website

A festus site where you can hear him sing an old ballad (and sing it good too)
    http://www.eviltwin.velvetsofa.com/Curtis/main.html

9. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I got to meet Buck Taylor (Newly) a few years ago at the Texas State Fair. Saw him there again a few months ago. I just wondered into a booth that was selling western art, turned around and spotted a familiar face. Turned out the art was his. He painted that portrait of James Arness that's on his site. He was selling copies at his booth. Cool stuff, but I couldn't afford any of it.

10. NWSneaky

Great stuff pardner. Thanks for sharing that.

11. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

He had a most beautiful voice too and sang with the Dorsey band as well as The Son's of the Pioneers. Devotee's of John Wayne films can see him in many of the Dukes films, doing what he does best...singing. Well, I agree that he was a fine actor too! I LOVE westerns!

By the by, dog historians will have noticed that one of the very first Rottweilers to arrive in this country was a featured dog on Gunsmoke, way back when just about no one knew what they were. ;)

LQ

12. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

With a handle like MissKitty what do you think??..lol...and guess what my husband name is...MAtt...for real...But we live on a farm and not Doge City...MissKitty

13. poppy

poppy Guest

Anything with James Arness in it is good. One thing I always admired about him is that off stage, he was pretty private. I never saw him on tv spouting off his political views like so many do nowadays. I have no ideas about his politics and it doesn't matter. He is a great actor.

14. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

actually I liked all the Oil Field cowboy movies, where they're in texas fighting it out over Land(great stuff!)

LoL and the indians!

15. pioneergal

pioneergal Member

NWSneaky,

YES, I am a huge Gunsmoke fan and have been since I was knee high to a grasshopper. A few years ago I was an active member of a Gunsmoke Fan Club.

I need only 10 episode to complete my collection of the hour long color episodes.

I have all of the 30 min. B & W Gunsmoke (Marshall Dillion).

I need about 20 episodes to complete the hour long B&W episodes that are now showing on the Westerns Channel.

My hubby let me name our little homestead Gunsmoke Trails. We are having a sign made to hang over our gate.

James Arness was born May 23, 1923 . He will be 82 this year.

16. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I enjoy listening to the old radio broadcast with William Conrad "Cannon" doing the voice.
    If you also like old sci fi, in the original movie "The Thing" the monster is played by James Arness. I believe that was his first movie.

17. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

When I was a kid in the 80's the local NPR station used to play old-time radio shows for about 5 hours every Tuesday night. They called it 'the Big Broadcast.' So despite being born in 1978 I managed to grow up listening to Gunsmoke, 'Have Gun Will Travel,' 'Lum & Abner,' 'Lights Out' and all the rest of that stuff. They even kept the old commercials in. I can still recite ads for 'Blue Coal' word for word.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out there was also a TV show of Gunsmoke. Seems like sacralige to me. I guess that I just don't go for the newfangled stuff that you baby-boomers do (heh heh).

-Jack

18. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

I don't know that I've ever seen "Gunsmoke" since it's been in syndication. Don't have satellite TV or cable here.

I sure remember it when it was "current" though. The whole family watched it but it was one of my dad's favorite shows to watch back in the 1960's.

19. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Hi jack! I enjoy listening to old-time radio too! You can hear many of your favourites at www.live365.com for free. I am old enough to remember when Gunsmoke was on radio, with William Conrad as Matt, & on TV at the same time, with James Arness as Matt. Conrad had a Great voice & I think Gunsmoke lasted on radio untill 1957 or 1958. Gunsmoke on TV lasted for over 20yrs. 22 I think. John Wayne turned down the role because he was making more money in movies at the time & he didn't want to be tied down to the production schedules of a TV series.

20. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

DH does. He loves Westerns. I was thinking of going down a level on the cable tv package we have but then we would lose the Western and Hallmark channels. Since DH doesn't drink, smoke or chase woman I have to let him have his one vice of watching too many old westerns on tv.lol